Tank Journal Archive

V

'vspec'

Nothing wrong with OCD, it made me the twitching man I am today! ............"Who said that..... Hello!"

Having the initial spillway higher (thus workhorse level) will only work if you set your ATO to keep that level. As gravity will try to level it at the lowest baffle height by default.
Using a plumback off your skimmer to create extra movement in your zoned areas is a good thing if your worried about flow. Just as long as that doesn't create potential back pressure issues.
I'd still consider drilling a hole in that pod farm while the hoods up, even with some gutter guard and a dab of silicon to contain your rubble as an example. Gives them the ability to move freely between zones, thus working for you. Cause realisticly, they aren't expected to make it to the display for lunch unless they get high enough on your macro and get swept over. Although with a RTP impeller that small, lunch per say, might just be a minced 'sniff '...lol

So doing the sums, if your still going the 2 wave makers, thats 37x turn over display bound. 9 of which is originating from the sump.
Sound about right for what your trying to achieve?

WoodyMackay

Oct 12, 2011
Haha classic :)
Good idea mate, will end up doing that I think cheers. I'm not so much worried about the flow, but I figured I may as well take advantage of it. Yeh that's what I want.
Yehp pretty much. Going to have alot of LPS, soft corals and maybe an anemone or two so I don't want ridiculous flow. That should be enough turnover shouldn't it? I do have enductors that could fit in the return outlets if u rekon I need a bit of water acceleration?

V

'vspec'

Depends on your placements bud, not to mention that turn over value is on the entire DT dimensions ~ your about to cut out a pretty decent percentage off that soon.

Penductors are also a cheap way of providing more focal force if needed. Only you will be able to answer that question if its needed. However if I was to take a stab at this early stage, Id say still send the sump flow to the surface for agitation and skim direction, and position your add-ons based on your animals. If its blowing their lifeless faces away, then I'd say defuse it more or dial it back ..lol

In static form, two opposing flow paths will always make for eddies and general chaos. Having the program kind of wavemakers,(and the luxury) the surge effect is sweet to see with sweeper animals, however consideration of how much territory you realisticly have to play with should be a factor.
With a smaller display, the tidal dynamics look off to me. Kinda like the younger years seeing boob for the first time on SBS, all the ingredients are there, your just not entirely sure what to do with it...lol

WoodyMackay

Oct 12, 2011
That's how the return is set up :)
Pretty much have described my whole flow setup mate aha. Return will serve as surface agitation, wavemakers will be opposing to create random flow towards the centre. Will be eventually getting a tunze or MP40, for now the wavemakers will do. Before that my lighting system and then a dosing pump is next, hopefully soon!

Hahah u come up with some of the best co
Comparisons know to mankind!

V

'vspec'

And post a pic of your new electrical move at some point, always like seeing a revision. :)

WoodyMackay

Oct 12, 2011
for V Spec
ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb362_wmackay1991_IMG_0450.jpg

where the electrical is, out of the way of water and easier to get to. Still need to tidy up the cabling, its bugging me.
ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb362_wmackay1991_IMG_0451.jpg

How the sump will be. Have the skimmer in a bit of water and some LR to get it broken in properly. First layer of DSB, Rubble at the back. You can just see the RTP in the left compartment.
ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb362_wmackay1991_IMG_0453.jpg

Final resting place

V

'vspec'

Yeah nothing wrong with that. Your room looks like it gets a chunk of sun light as well, It all adds to the flavour! What is that anyways, the man cave?

Getting a bio coating on your skimmer early, not bad dude, thinking proactive

WoodyMackay

Oct 12, 2011
Hahah actually it's outside. Well, an outside area. Completely enclosed from
The elements, parents want it out there :/ I'm a bit hesitant about heat, cold I don't care, can always get another heater ;) yeh still have rock in nsw for the tank so I figured why not, it'll then be skimming properly from the start :)

Can't do anything else at the moment and i just have to play with it in the weekend haha

WoodyMackay

Oct 12, 2011
ITS WEETTTTTTT!! it's my first custom so I'm a bit excited :) well the summa filled, had to make a few repairs on the dry dock return weir!

V

'vspec'

We are wading knee deep with the new generation, and as such our attention is now grabbed by fast food and flashy eye catchers
So..... :poidh

WoodyMackay

Oct 12, 2011
Filled basically all the sump and to the weir in the DT and what decides to go bang? My return pump!! After not even half an
Hour of running f*****^{%%*{k!
Needless to say a new one will be sourced before any photos/ more water goes in.. But rock is in the DT. don't expect much of a cycle as it has been in a tank since the old tank pull down. Looking at a red devil 3000 or 4000lph return pump :) should bring my turnover to around 48-50x, no detrius will be settling in this tank!