Tank Journal Archive

WoodyMackay

Oct 12, 2011
Aww funny guy! Nah swapped that idea for a remote control
And temp control ;) hey any idea why the bubbles in my skimmer are so big? I guess skimmers don't work in fresh water? I just had it running for an hour or so.

V

'vspec'

Im confused sorry bud.

• Your running a weir, putting it in after the fact!
  • You're drilled 2 holes on the bottom at each end with massive offset from the back wall. Looks like double the bulkhead flange offset width. (Is this going to be a false wall the entire way? If so, what is that, a good 70mm at least off the backwall?)
ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb362_wmackay1991_IMG_0416.jpg

• You have bought an irrigation bulk headed durso, indicating your coming in from the back & going to do coast to coast.
  • Then on the next shot, you have a pvc durso set-up indicating for straight dump, with what looks like locline & penductor? protruding from the left standpipe.
ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb362_wmackay1991_IMG_0424.jpg

Other than missing some set-up clarity on my end, I think your stand looks great, and your efforts are to be commended.

WoodyMackay

Oct 12, 2011
Sorry guys I didn't explain properly. Holes were pre drilled, probably why it was so cheap. Weirs will be put in before I fill it, standard box weirs. The penductor and durso was just a mock up, the pipe on the right will be a siphon and the one on the left a return. When I get my holesaw from eBay I'll drill a hole and have the irrigation durso as the emergency overflow. 25mm, fully open, within the siphon weir. Hope that clear some queries up!

V

'vspec'

If your putting a weir on both sides, then you would have to have one lip lower than the other, to achieve a skim to the right side only.(That weir by your design will be a dry dock with locline poking over the top correct.?)

Same goes for your durso reserve, It has to be low enough to be within the confines of the tank obviously, yet your main dump pipe will have to be lower than the durso neck.
Which means
A) your doing a modified bean animal approach,
B) due to the size of the durso coming in, the water level will lower in the weir unless you throttle the durso as well and
C) you will have a straight dump pipe in the base, and extra reserve plumbing on the backside of the DT.

Is this a correct observation?

Im thinking of throwing out the suggestion of boxing it up as your going to, yet look to drill an extra hole in each side.
One will be the dump on each side, the other a sealed return, all within the weirs. Obviously this changes deployments, however I'm not seeing your entire scope yet, so its a little hard to add suggestive inputs so far, namely that will hinder or advance your current plans :)

Tagging along anyways bud. Look forward to seeing how you go.

WoodyMackay

Oct 12, 2011
Vspec,
The holes were predrilled, hence the cheap price of the tank. One side will be the drain. Siphon/overflow. Siphon will be lower than durso obviously. Durso will be drilled into the back, at a level where if in an emergency full flow can run through the durso without the tank overflowing. other side as matt said will be a drydock weir, with a return coming through the bottom. I'll put a pic up to show everyone

WoodyMackay

Oct 12, 2011
Ok this hopefully be my last updat before it's wet! All I need to do is put the weirs in, plumb the durso and we are all set! I have been testing the siphon/durso by using the two returns without the weirs and I'm happy to say that i have got it quieter than the noise from the protien skimmer which is basically nothing so I'm pretty keen to get this thing up and running!

WoodyMackay

Oct 12, 2011
couldnt help myself ;)
couple pics of recent work
ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb362_wmackay1991_IMG_0427.jpg

Skimmer getting a vinegar bath
ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb362_wmackay1991_IMG_0428.jpg

managaed to pull something out of a cup full of nsw??
ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb362_wmackay1991_IMG_0433.jpg

completed sump
ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb362_wmackay1991_IMG_0436.jpg

temp controller wired up
ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb362_wmackay1991_IMG_0437.jpg

return outlet, will be at about rim level
ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb362_wmackay1991_IMG_0438.jpg

finally got my galss drill and drilled hole for emergency durso.
ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb362_wmackay1991_IMG_0439.jpg

how it will be fixed in weir.
hopefully this clears up some misuderstandings with my overflow setup!

WoodyMackay

Oct 12, 2011
Haha I definitely did panic! But managed to do it with out chipping the glass, I was happy for my first ever attempt :) about the tape.. Yeh kinda just popped up at mine? ;) do the last few pictures explain the overflow and return better vspec? I had to do it this way as the holes were pre drilled and I didn't want a HUGE weir. The drain weir will be about 20mm from the top of the tank, the return weir will be the same height as the rim so it stays dry :)

V

'vspec'

Yup I see what your doing bud. Admittedly, I would have mentioned the exact same opinion..... drill 2 more and make it dual dump and return chamber on each side..lol But hey, this is your Frankenstein not mine, Im just privileged to see into the mind of a mental patent.

Congrats on the glass cutting buddy. It is a bit nerve racking first go, then after its done, you wonder what all the fuss was about. Kinda like sex on a half packed columbian tour bus :)
Did you use a hole template when you were cutting the initial groove?

Talk to me about your sump bud, You have some interesting happenings on the left, so much so i'm wondering where your RTP is going to fit

WoodyMackay

Oct 12, 2011
Yeh was an option but I'm sick of spending money on plumbing at buntings and water well!! Haha. Thanks man, yeh just took my time and u eventually relax and enjoy it ;) haha. Yeh cut a hole out of wood first then just had the brother running water over it the whole time.

Ok. Basically intake/skimmer section, drains come out just behind intake of skimmer pump. Second section is dsb and will have macro growing too. Back corner section is just rock rubble. Not so worried about using it for filtration, moreso for a cooepod factory. Last section is bubble trap and return pump and heters squeeze in :)

V

'vspec'

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb362_wmackay1991_IMG_0433.jpg

Looking at it from right to left, you have a spill way baffle only, not a bad thing, just be mindful if you have plenty of flow, and your running a sand bed, well, logic can dictate displacement.
Love your pod farm, it was actually the first thing I thought of. Its lip is clearly lower however are your two opposing baffles the same height?Just thinking about flowput.

Whats your RTP and its output values? I didn't even see it, It must have an awesomely tiny footprint! Then again, in could just be optics

Woody Mackay

Oct 17, 2011
Yeh I Know, but because my sump is only 800mm i wanted to have as much room as possible. Reasoning behind this is that there is not alot of flow coming through the sump (I rekon 1800LPH after head height, restrictions through plumbing etc) so the water does not pass through quick enough to cause a drama.

Yeh it was more of an afterthought to be honest,had some off cuts and thought why not? keeps the rock away from the sand, can have different medias changed in it.
my first baffle after the skimmer is only marginally higher. This allows higher water level over the 'fuge, and more chance for the bubbles to be trapped at the spill baffle.

I have actually put some clear tube on the output of the skimmer, and it runs the the pod farm section. There is holes also drilled along the side of the tube so that some of the water is forced down onto the macro and dsb. Effective way of increasing flow over my filtration medias without using a bigger pump ;)

The RTP is an AQUA NOVA. I dont know much about them, or any other pumps to be honest as ive never had one! But in saying that I rekon its pretty dam quiet! cant hear it unless my head is pretty much in the sump, and cannot hear it at all when my skimmer is running, and even that is quiet! does 2250LPH @ 0 head, so I guestimate 2K @ 1.3M head? Yes its very tiny, another plus, only 80x50mm. I would reccomend them to anyone!

Woody Mackay

Oct 17, 2011
Ow BTW,
I think I have a problem with leaving stuff alone. Decided I wantred to change my electrical cause it was too close to the water. Now all outlets are high up and cabling is cable tied and hung up on saddles. Gives me more room aswell. I guess its the OCD created from working at a company that requires everything to be perfect :(
Re did my plumbing AGAIN. The amount of times I have changed my mind in this is ridiculous. now durso and siphone both come in neatly at the same spot, got a good quality ball valve for my siphon from water well in Albion Park. So much easier to turn so should be a breeze to adjust :) Just waiting for my weirs and then It can be filled!