Tank Journal Archive

Jeso

Oct 26, 2011
Main Beach GC
MagicJ - there are what looks like small yellowy green bubbles but they pulse. also the other pic shows a red tube that seems to open and shut on and off when there is food in the tank. can any of these be harmful?
pic2.jpg
pic1.jpg

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
bubble algae. there is a thread on here on how to remove. i will try find it this arvo after work.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The first picture looks like a tunicate - I think I can see two openings - harmless filter feeders.

The second picture is definitely bubble algae, probably of the Valonia or Ventricaria genus.

This is a good article on the algae http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcj/feature/index.php and there has been a bit of a discussion here http://www.thereefuge.com/threads/my-method-for-getting-rid-of-bubble-algae.764/

I would be getting rid of it whilst there are only a few as, under the right conditions, it can spread fairly quickly.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
A good photo shop program that is free to download that has a lot of tools in it and is very simple to use is paint.net

its a simple program, not the same as paint that comes with windows, it has way more on it, its an actual photo shop like program. but as I said really easy to use.

in saying that if your like me and only have a digital point and shoot, and dont have very steady hands even when using a guide to keep it still, and a small MP size can make taking pics a bit of a nightmare.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
hi mate,

your frogspawn is looking a tad cranky, is this just because you have only just gotten it or just turned the lights one or something? I found with my frogspawn which was exactly the same colour yours is would stay fully extended all the time even at night. gotta get another couple again though, they are nice.

Jeso

Oct 26, 2011
Main Beach GC
hi mate,

your frogspawn is looking a tad cranky, is this just because you have only just gotten it or just turned the lights one or something? I found with my frogspawn which was exactly the same colour yours is would stay fully extended all the time even at night. gotta get another couple again though, they are nice.
yeh i know. i repositioned it closer to the bottom of the tank with a gentle flow past it but that hasnt helped either. One part has extended but the main section is still hiding. any ideas on how to bring it out a bit better?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
yeh i know. i repositioned it closer to the bottom of the tank with a gentle flow past it but that hasnt helped either. One part has extended but the main section is still hiding. any ideas on how to bring it out a bit better?
just give it time to settle in. some corals can take weeks to become fully happy again

Jeso

Oct 26, 2011
Main Beach GC
UPDATE: I lost the main part of my frogspawn for unknown reasons... at the same time it died mu duncan and zoos were doing great.
I installed my chiller today and added my other occelaris and a neon green nephthea which has come out really well.
The duncan is thriving as are the zoos and the lobos. the remaining purple frogspawn is going really well too which makes me wonder why the main part died off. also lost one stromb. dont know why that happened either cos everything else is thriving.