System Objectives: Interesting different and Stunning Nano Reef

Display System:

Initial Fill Date: 3/11/11

Display Tank Dimensions: 610 x 500 x 605 mm

Display Lighting: 2x 55w 50/50 10,000k & Actinic T5 Power compact lamps

Stand: Standard RSM Totem stand

Hood or Rimless: Hood

Sump Design: n/a

Filtration:4-stage reef filtration system, adjustable height surface skimmer has been ordered.

Support systems:

NSW or ASW: ASW

Display Water circulation: standard

Return Pump: standard

Skimmer:turbo protein skimmer driven by a 1200 lph pump.

Evaporation Top Up: manual

Chemical additions:

Calcium Addition: n/a

Alkilinity Addition: n/a

Magnesium Addition: n/a

Prodibiotics Addition: n/a

Coral Food Addition: n/a

Jeso

Oct 26, 2011
Main Beach GC
Reefing Since: 3/11/11

System Objectives: Beginner tank but learn as I go.

Initial Fill Date: 3/11/11

Display Tank Dimensions: RSM-130

Display Lighting: 2 x 55W T5 (10000K) 2 Clear blue Sky Color and 2 x Actinic Blue

Stand: Standard

Hood or Rimless: Hood

Sump Design: N/A
NSW or ASW: ASW
Stock Equipment

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
You haven't wasted any time in getting it filled :) Good work.

Now, how long are you going to leave it before buying your first fish??

Jeso

Oct 26, 2011
Main Beach GC
Its gonna be a few weeks before evenn thinking bout a fish. I want to plan out exactly what I want. Any suggestions? I have a ocelaris clown in another tank that I have to take out so thats a start. For corals I want to get blue, orange, red and purple colours.... unsure on what I can get tho as this is the first time I have got into corals. for fish........ also unsure on what to get.. i am going to get some coral banded shrimp and snails for my cuc. I also saw a lemon coloured box fish the other day.... They look really different and quite awesome. Suggestions?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
jeso i added a template to your first post. fill it out for us!! makes it easyer for people to see the specs of your tank. looking good mate :D

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
For corals, mushroom corals are a good starting point - you can get these in all the colours you have mentioned.

I also saw a lemon coloured box fish the other day.... They look really different and quite awesome. Suggestions?
Please keep asking questions like this so that we can provide some advice - don't rely on what the LFS may tell you.

That cute little lemon box fish was probably Lactoria cornuta or Ostracion cubicus both of which grow to around 18-20 inches and loose their bright colours as they mature. They can also release toxins into the water if stressed. You do not want one of these in your tank.

Note down the names of fish you see at the LFS that you like the look of and come back here and let us know what you find - there are hundreds of fish which would be suitable for your tank, but there also hundreds that are not.

Cheers

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
give it 4 weeks and then i would start adding corals. its alot harder placing corals etc once fish are in. you should also try get your aquascape sorted before the fish go in. you can kill the fish aquascapeing the tank with them in there. been there done that!

Jeso

Oct 26, 2011
Main Beach GC
so after 2 or 3 weeks ill put in my cuc and then start with a few corals..... when adding corals is it the same as fish (not all at once) not that I could afford to add them all at once but can i add 2 or 3 at a time?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
theres nothing wrong with adding a bunch at one. alot of people do that. what corals were you thinking of getting? lps? softys?

Jeso

Oct 26, 2011
Main Beach GC
i really dont know ay. i wanted to get a blue xenia and would also like to eventually get a rose bubble tip anenome if i can....

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
once you replace the bulbs you will have strong enough light, by memory your tubes are original yes? a nice rose would look excellent :worship

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
great news!!. i would let the tank be settled for atleast 6 months before putting the rose in tho! :worship

Jeso

Oct 26, 2011
Main Beach GC
Got back home just then and the tank was 34 degrees.

Investigations found that a powerhead decided to have a meltdown. Taking it to be replaced now and going to pick up my chiller. Might even grab another powerhead for the tank.