Reef Discussion

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
My method for getting rid of Bubble Algae
Hi All,

I recently had a couple of bits of bubble algae appear on my rocks so i had to come up with an easy method of getting it off.

First i got myself one of the Fluval easy clean gravel cleaners, as they have an angled edge on them.

Then i got my dremmel out and gently sanded the edge of the gravel cleaner until I got it nice and sharp.

Then when it was time to do a water change i started the siphon on the gravel cleaner and using the sharp edge i gently sliced off each bit of bubble algae. It came off super easy, all in once piece too! The great thing about it is, being under siphon it just simply sucked it up once it came off the rock.

Now the fluval's have a gravel stop up the tube which did not allow the bubbles to go through so i had to gently lift the tube out of the aquarium horizontally so it did you fall back into the tank.
I plan on removing it soon to make it go through..

Heres some pics

ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay__home_aoaq_domaieaff89d4c7a6e55469e17af8a5999f5c.jpg

ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_5123.jpg

ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_5122.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I used to do a similar thing, but just with a hose - the good thing with the syphon is if you happen to bust one of the bubbles all the stuff inside still gets sucked out of the tank.

Thanks for sharing.