Tank Journal Archive

he has left the rock he came on and gone right in front of the powerhead.
i have decided to leave the rock in for a little bit as it has some pods which hopefully will start to spread in my tank

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
have you covered your powerheads/filters-if not do so otherwise you may no longer have an anemone

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
What's the best way to cover a powerhead without affecting it's performance
You probably can't ;) Making a cage out of something like eggcrate/gutter guard may work but it won't look very good. This is a difficult problem to solve - you could move the powerhead to a different spot but the anemone might just follow it chasing the water flow it provides.
This is one reason why many people have vowed to never have an anemone again ;)

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
problem with gutter guard is that it looks ugly on the powerhead and then unless you work out a way to cover the bracket as well and incorporate it ,the actual powerhead won't fit back in!. I used the mesh from a fishnet and used fishnet stocking over this. I put the flow up( you can mod the flow with my powerhead) but I do need to clean off all the stuff that adheres to the powerhead routinely now. I think my flow is only slightly les than before because I was able to adjust it to a higher setting. I've seen people modding the tank so that they have an acrylic barrier at the back behind which they put the powerhead so that just its head juts out of a hole cut in the barrier

just got back from williamstown and got my phospahate tested again. 0.37 :) so its dropped by 0.12 in the last 2 weeks.
I have decided to make this tank a mixed reef and added a small green hammer and a small red zoa. Have only just put in tank but will get some photos later when they have come out

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
You probably can't ;) Making a cage out of something like eggcrate/gutter guard may work but it won't look very good. This is a difficult problem to solve - you could move the powerhead to a different spot but the anemone might just follow it chasing the water flow it provides.
This is one reason why many people have vowed to never have an anemone again ;)
+1 to this. The problem isn't when the hems on the rock it's when they decide to detach themselves and swim around the tank straight into the powerhead like my 45cm rose bubble tip .......

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Very nice. I would move the torches away from the hammers so that there is some space between them otherwise you will have stung corals. Nice colours.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Sorry- 2 of them looked like torches because they didn't have their little anchors extended.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Starting to look good mate. Your new corals are certainly a better choice to start with than the SPS - how is that going by the way? It still looks OK in the picture.

Its lost a bit of color as my phosphate are still a little high for sps but it still has good poly extension and phosphate is getting lower so will have to wait and see