Tank Journal Archive

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Did someone recomend that coral?
not the easyest of corals to start with. it is SPS, needs pristine water quality to thrive, mainly flow, intense lights and low phosphates!
goodluck with it!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Sps is more difficult to keep colourfull then other types of coral, eg softys and lps,
has good polyp extention so far goodluck :)

is it strange that my still doesn't have any algea growth, I have not had to clean anything of the glass for over a week now when with my last tank I had to do the glass everyday

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Don't complain, your time will come ;). Algae needs nourishment to grow i.e. phosphates etc. Your rock did not have much live growth to die off and you currently have little bio-load in the tank to generate waste products which may explain the low algae growth.

got my phosphate tested today 0.49 so its a little high. could it be coming from my rocks as in my last tank i had a bit of a phosphate problem?
so no more sps until it goes down
also got my first fish
ai1203.photobucket.com_albums_bb389_donski84_2011_08_11173624.jpg

he/she is enjoying some live brine with my cbs
hope to get a friend for him/her soon

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Your rock can leach phosphate for some time if it has previously been in a tank with high phosphate levels - you will just have to see how this goes.
Nice ocellaris - good to have a fish in the tank :)

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
I am pretty sure the black and white occy start to show more orange as they get older. I dont know why this is but according to the LFS it happens..

I am pretty sure the black and white occy start to show more orange as they get older. I dont know why this is but according to the LFS it happens..
Haven't heard that before, i might look into it. I do know that my last black and white occy was a hybrid that came straight from one of melbournes biggest fish suppliers that they were selling as black and white and sending all over australia :mad:

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
what difference did the hybrid have?

the LFS had a black and white occy there that was somewhat older, it was showing glimpes of orange. it only showed orange when the light hit it in a certain angle, it look pretty cool actually, a bit like pearlescent paint!

went to my lfs today to see if they had a friend for my little occy but they are still having trouble getting black/white but i did find a nice little bta
ai1203.photobucket.com_albums_bb389_donski84_2011_08_20171950.jpg

They gave it to me on the rock so they don't risk damaging him but i am hoping he gets of it as i don't want to leave the rock in there.