Tank Journal Archive

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
the near UV puts out no visable light. (they arnt true uv as there are no cheap true UV leds)
as for purples make sure you get the correct output. the purples in the illumagics were specifically designed around reef keeping.
i would class them as a more red tinge to the colour to the eye then purple
whats your budget?

Woody Mackay

Oct 17, 2011
Just checked out rapidled.com, didn't even know they existed!! Im scrapping the other idea, and buying a retrofit kit. I think 24 crees should do my tank :)
I like their kits because they come with dimmable meanwell drivers already, plus everything is so easy, I can adjust the 100% output current to my liking. So much easier to work with a kit like this. Then I may look around and see about some purples later when I have read up a bit more

im assuming you are using the 2 uv for moon lights? if so i would do something else for moon lighting, and change those two UV to a red. We have red on some of our units,a nd i have seen a ecotech radion with the red and the colors you get with it are amazing.

Just my 2c

Also we have a 9watt uv led strip 12" and it doent put out enough light to moon light my 40L

Woody Mackay

Oct 17, 2011
Thanks mate, Well the idea behind the 'UV' was actually just compliment the blues spectrum, helping to make the colours POP. But, They werent going to actually eb true UV, like matt said true uv has next to no visible light output. I meant a purple led, but the more i am researching on spectrums I beleive the CREE royal blues are on the edge of that blue/violet spectrum. Cheers for the input but!!

Woody Mackay

Oct 17, 2011
Hi MarineClass,
No im still not sure as the aquastyle DOES have the choice of meanwell drivers, im trying to work out pros and cons of eveything (ie cree v bridgelux, cost difference between two, how many leds to run per string etc.) is there much difference between your kits? did you get the amount from both suppliers? cheers

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Both kits were great. - im no expert but from what i have heard:
The crees are a better quality light - im not sure what makes them better but thats what people say. I did notice that they are brighter - but not a lot.

The thing i like about the bridglux is that they are a lot cheaper and the drivers that came with mine were sooooo easy to wire up. the whole aquastyle kit was very easy to wire and i am really happy with the quality/effect the lights give off.

totally up to you mate - i know people will definetly reccommend the crees but it depends on your budget -

WoodyMackay

Oct 12, 2011
Cheers mate, yeh sounds good! I was looking at the wavelengths of the different colours and I think the royal blues will give me the purple I'm looking for :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Back a bit to Matt's post - you will want some CW and NW not WW - the Warm White are down around 2,600 to 3,700K which is way too far into the yellow spectrum.

I have been doing some reading on red LED's - some like them and some hate them. There is a deep red available which may be worth a try. Be careful of cheap purple LED's - some have a blue led and red led on the same die to give the illusion of purple. They may fool our eyes but our corals are a bit more discerning.

WoodyMackay

Oct 12, 2011
Thanks magic, I was kinda flying blind with the whole colour thing but have done my reading now. I will have royal blue, blue, cool white and neutral white. Like u said, the warm white is way to yellow! Only found that out when I went onto Cree and looked up the wavelengths! Ow well. By the way, stand is cladded, electricals
Are done, skimmer/temp contoller/other gear is on it's way so should be wet in a couple weeks yewww!

WoodyMackay

Oct 12, 2011
ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb362_wmackay1991_DSC01654.jpg

Trim
ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb362_wmackay1991_DSC01653.jpg

Side shot-with annoying brother :/
ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb362_wmackay1991_DSC01652.jpg

The two power cable come out here.
ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb362_wmackay1991_DSC01655.jpg

electrical panel. May relocate the bottom panel higher.
ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb362_wmackay1991_DSC01656.jpg

Fuge light