Tank Journal Archive

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
yeah ive noticed that....... every little spec shows up:mad: oh well its not a hard job and seeing it dirty makes me want to clean it so ill just keep at it for now but if i do get sick of it i have plenty of spare coral sand here ill just change it over....... that being said with only one fish and shrimp to feed i will be adding very little food to the tank so not much will fall to the bottom;)

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Does anyone have any suggestions for stock ? I like odd things that are uncommon in aquarium but bear in mind I Onl have a 20x20x25cm space to work with !
Or anything I could use/do to make things run better ? At the moment I run (in order) filter wool, lots of carbon, seachem matrix in a "gutter guard" bag I made up... I do a 1.5L wc once or twice a week and change the wool as soon as I see any colour in it ?

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
already got a yellow coral goby :cool: itl prob go in this weekend ? ive been trying to hold off as long as possible to let the tank get some bacterial life in it first... the sexy and emperor are both going well by the way az you were right the emp shed last night;)

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
25mm blue squamosa ??? definitely enough light and i can give it more light if necessary and being next to my bed i check water levels every day and top up if necessary ?... i know it will outgrow the tank quite quickly but then i will put it into my main reef.... ???

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
does that like mean you'd give the ok ? not yet obviously i put the goby in last night so ill have to wait at least a few weeks for everything to settle down again ?!?! clams are filter feeders yes so would coral/filter feeder food be a good bet for this tank ?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
fish poop is the best thing for clams, they live off amonia and nitrate, phytoplankton has also been reported to be uptaken by small clams so generally even the scapings off you glass will help, depending of the coral food it may be able to take those particles as well

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i wouldnt be adding much food to this pico remember it is under 10L very easy to overload the water!

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
valid point matt ! its super concentrated 1 drop per 100L every 2 days ! im sure i could figure out a way to dilute it.... say mix a drop into 1L of RO and add a teaspooon or so to the pico then the rest to my main tank.... but only do it once a week ?

more back to the point as long as i keep the salinity stable and do my bi weekly 1.5L WC a clam should be fine in there untill it outgrows yeah ? 15W of LED 6" from the clam ?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
should be cool - phytoplankton 5-25 Microns in size. I would try it without adding anything first

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
ok so i have a friend who has a small one 25-30mm... bought it for his big tank but you barely see it cause its so small.. hes been offering it to me cheaper than he bought it so ima go buy it off him this arvo its really nice :cool: pics to follow once its acclimated...

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
how will i know if its too much ? also zoas are fully open at the top of the rocks and there "low light " so cant be too bright;)

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
meh zoas will be open 5cm away from a 1000w mh

Watch your nutirents to know if its too much, but the fish poop etc should be enough to feed him

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Mix 1 drop of the food with 10 drops of RO water and then use 1 drop of the resulting solution to feed your pico and you should be spot on! Then use the other 9 drops to feed your other tank.

That little tank will look awesome with a clam in it! Cant wait to see those pics!

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
sooon my pretties ! been dripping for about 2 hours now....... i have doubled then halved then doubled then halved.... just got one more double to go and itll be in..... side question....do clams have sexes ?