Tank Journal Archive

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
it wasn't Alan, it was one of the guys working there. Told him it was 2.5-3 foot and 125L.
sorry but a sailfin tang is no where near suitable. they need a large space as they get very large. probably one of the smallest tangs is a bristle tooth tang and is more suitable for a 3x2x2 but they also get quiet large .

new lights look g0od!

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
yeah i hate to tang bash but i dont think its a good idea, I am in a minority that think its ok to have scopas, flavescens ect in a very open 200l cube with caution. a sailfin is a bit of another story again though id be thinking an 400l minimalist of 600l normal reef tank. I cant really think of any tang that would be suitable for a 125l tank.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
appreciate the feedback, shame cause several people assured me that this place wasn't your typical place that will tell you something just for a sale, guess its my fault for going to a new place, will stick to my usual place from now on. I didn't even ask about the tang, I asked what I could potentially have and he went straight to it.

It's about the size of a 20c coin now and just picking off the rocks. Will call them and see if I can take it back or see if any of my mates with big tanks have room. How long do you think I have until he gets uncomfortable?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
The place is really good, you just want to stick with advice from Alan, he will be cool for a few months, but if you can avoid him being there all the better. You have seen my tangs in the similar sized tank, they are only really good in there for another month of so. what you are looking out for is it pacing back and forward along the glass, heavy breathing or just being a cranky bitch. The other thing is they are poop machines, they need to eat lots and they poops lots, meaning unless you have really good filtration etc they tend to cause nutrient issues in small tanks as well

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
hmmm that dosnt mean to you keep him, just that you have a small amount of time to find him a new home

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
It's about the size of a 20c coin now and just picking off the rocks.
So, you actually purchased this fish :) They are very cute when that small but it will soon grow.

The other thing is they are poop machines, they need to eat lots and they poops lots, meaning unless you have really good filtration etc they tend to cause nutrient issues in small tanks as well
I have got too agree with this - my Yellow Tang does big poops everywhere which generally hang around until I siphon them out.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
hmmm that dosnt mean to you keep him, just that you have a small amount of time to find him a new home
I'm not saying I'm keeping him, just that he isn't showing any of these signs yet. Like you said, as in your Q tank that is smaller than this you have 3 yellows that are bigger than this one, he will be ok until I can get him to a bigger tank, I don't need to find him a home today.

Thanks again, glad I tried that place but won't be going back I don't think, if they took advantage of my 'newness' this time I have to assume they will next time.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I looked into the other fish he said to go for, a clown tang.

It was tiny, about 5-8cm long, and he said it was fully grown and a very peaceful fish. From researching its pretty clear he either has no idea what he is selling or has no care what he sells to anyone.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
It wouldnt suprise me, its a dive shop whos owner (alan) is a collector/exporter as well, so he had his holding tanks to the side of the shop. The staff there are divers not reefers, Alan is both hand IMO is very knowledgable but the other staff really have no idea and will usually have to call Alan to ask him if the coral you want is a hammer or a mushroom.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Sure he had a clown tang? he only has locally collected things and those come from Fiji/Vanuatu

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
i guess a 500k swim across the pacific could be an indication this guys an active swimmer :)

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
Thought I might do a little update. All photos with the phone I am afraid, got to get the mrs to start leaving the camera at home!! So my apologies for reflections and some glare etc, I am doing my best :)

Anyway, tank is really starting to settle in, I am very happy so far. :)

FTS
ai711.photobucket.com_albums_ww112_aussieant32_IMG_0041_1.jpg

New Xenia (cheers ads)
ai711.photobucket.com_albums_ww112_aussieant32_IMG_0044_1.jpg

Morph seems to have settled
ai711.photobucket.com_albums_ww112_aussieant32_IMG_0045_1.jpg

Trochus out for a munch
ai711.photobucket.com_albums_ww112_aussieant32_IMG_0047_1.jpg

This morph has been in 3 different spots now, apparently they dont move but this one does :)
ai711.photobucket.com_albums_ww112_aussieant32_IMG_0048_1.jpg

Poor Tang
ai711.photobucket.com_albums_ww112_aussieant32_IMG_0054_1.jpg

Lights from below
ai711.photobucket.com_albums_ww112_aussieant32_IMG_0049_1.jpg

Lights from Above
ai711.photobucket.com_albums_ww112_aussieant32_IMG_0055_1.jpg

Nice chot of the LCD display
ai711.photobucket.com_albums_ww112_aussieant32_IMG_0056_1.jpg

Attachments