Tank Journal Archive

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
First Dabble in Marine
Decided to start up a tank journal tonight. Tank is about 7 weeks old now. This journal was spread over 2 other sites but I like it here :)

Reefing Since: 09/01/2012

System Objectives: To learn about marine keeping before getting a big tank when we buy our first home, hopefully within 2 years.

Type of reef: Basic!

Display System:

Initial Fill Date: 09/01/2012

Display Tank Dimensions: 30*24*12

Display Lighting: Maxspect Mazarra S-Series 100W

Stand: Custom Pine

Hood or Rimless: Rimless

Sump Design: Nil

Filtration: Berlin

Support systems:

NSW or ASW: Mixed of both.

Display Water circulation: 2 Hydor Koralia 900LP/H, hoping to add another tomorrow!

Return Pump: Nil

Skimmer: HOB Rio Nano (on the upgrade list)

Evaporation Top Up: Manual

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
ok so first set up was a bit rushed on my behalf, I intended on taking it slow but got a call saying that the rock I had ordered that was due in 3 weeks would be in the following day. I got everything set up and that evening the tank looked like this.

ai711.photobucket.com_albums_ww112_aussieant32_4403a561.jpg

Things turned sour pretty quick as I had massive die off and came home from work one day to an awful stench that I could smell on the street!

Readings took about 5 weeks to come into line. Cycle ended and looked to add my first CUC. I ordered in 5 hermit crabs. Unfortunately after 2 weeks I hadn't heard anything, still haven't to this day but luckily I didn't pay as they were a pick up item so I didn't lose out.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
should say the above was taken 20 minutes after adding the rock so it was cloudy and running a single T8 tube as I had not updated my lighting!

So after the cycle completed I picked up 5 turbo snails and 2 GSP from Ad, and a couple of black clowns from Ben, they are going well, few photos below.

ai711.photobucket.com_albums_ww112_aussieant32_GSPFF.jpg
ai711.photobucket.com_albums_ww112_aussieant32_CLOWNFF1.jpg
ai711.photobucket.com_albums_ww112_aussieant32_CLOWNFF.jpg

Tomorrow I am getting my LED's and a couple more snails. Going to get a Duncan as well off a fellow Reefuge member, speaking with Ad's tonight my phosphate may be too high but getting a good batch of NSW tomorrow and will do a big change before adding it to hopefully reduce it. I will do my best to keep him going!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
It's always going to be harder with a relatively small tank and no sump, but I am sure that you will get something sorted.

Remember, don't rush it :)

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
So I got the lights yesterday, wow! Cracking lights they are, easy to use with the LCD display on each unit, tank looks great, well in my opinion anyway! Also picked up a nice duncan off malau yesterday and it is looking really good. Few photos below.
ai711.photobucket.com_albums_ww112_aussieant32_duncan_1.jpg

ai711.photobucket.com_albums_ww112_aussieant32_lights_1.jpg

I will try get some photos of the different time periods I have it set on, tried on my phone and its all grainy, cant find the wife's camera! Also going to get some black cover for the back of the tank

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Personal opinion but I think tanks look cleaner if you remove those black strips

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
heheh yeah that seems to be the case most of the time, but nothing half an hour with a razor dosnt to get ontop of

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
so got a few new corals yesterday. Not 100% sure what happened, I had a phosphate reading of about 4.0 last weekend. All i did this week was top up with NSW and did a 15% change and my reading was 0.1. I tested it 3 times and took it to LFS and all read 0.1. So I got a hammer from Alan and a few morphs off a guy on masa. Also had some top growth on my duncan in a week, so posting a comparison from the earlier pic.

ai711.photobucket.com_albums_ww112_aussieant32_hammer_1.jpg

ai711.photobucket.com_albums_ww112_aussieant32_morph_1.jpg

ai711.photobucket.com_albums_ww112_aussieant32_morphsmall_1.jpg

ai711.photobucket.com_albums_ww112_aussieant32_duncangrowth_1.jpg

ai711.photobucket.com_albums_ww112_aussieant32_smallestmorph_1.jpg

LED's are looking tops as well, I turn the white down to 0% yesterday with the new corals but back up to 20% today, should hit 20% about 12:30pm.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
also, while at alans the guy there advised I could have a sailfin tang in my tank as they do not require the space most tangs do. Any input?
My opinion - that guy has no idea what he is talking about :rolleyes

Sailfin tangs (Zebrasoma desjardini or Zebrasoma veliferum) are large tangs that can grow to 45cm+. I would think that a minimum tank of 6 foot+ would be required.

This post http://www.thereefuge.com/board/threads/tank-size-guide-surgeonfish-tangs.19/ recommends a minimum of 8 foot.

Did this guy know what size tank you have? If so, I would carefully consider anything that he tells you in the future.