Tank Journal Archive

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Interstate move? No way!!
Everyone knows Queensland is the best state to live in anyways ;)

Picked up the IBC and dropped off the corals to a friends place. Two more things done.

I also turned off the dosing pumps and topped up the evap for the tank.

It's slowly coming together. Luckily the move is only a few minutes away.

I have picked up my black 150L plastic rectangular tub as a holiday home for the fish. They will be moved over into this and the tank will come later on Tuesday.

Nick

Dec 6, 2011
Sydney
Good luck with the move, and yeah QLD is real nice but your beer (XXXX) is real bad.
Liking the minimal look BTW

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Good luck with the move, and yeah QLD is real nice but your beer (XXXX) is real bad.
Liking the minimal look BTW
Thanks Nick :)
I only drink rum and it's pretty good here.

I received a phone call this morning from my friend who is taking care of the corals at the moment. He has and is building up the finest collection of hammers I have seen in person and online. He liked the greens I had. Really, they are nothing compared to the golds he has :)

All the corals has opened up really well today and are not showing any signs of stress or problems associated with the move.

I put the RO on last night and it made 100L in a few hours, must be better water pressure than the last place :) Water will be ready for the fish and rock today and I will move them over.

Will also drain the tank, remove the substrate and get the sump and plumbing ready for transport tomorrow. I am glad I used unions for 95% of the plumbing so that shouldn't be a problem.

Almost finished work, so it will begin shortly.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
So it's been a very busy week for me.

All the livestock and equipment has been transported to the new place :)

It was a very stressful time for me as it was in the middle of the heat wave in Brisbane. Moving livestock in 37+ degrees is not something I would ever like to do again.

Speaking of the heat wave - I have 3mm acrylic that I have glued into place using a few tubes of silicone as the tanks background. I know there are preferred methods of doing this, but silicon has worked well for me on every tank I have done. While we were loading the tank onto the ute, we watched as the heat caused the acrylic to bow right in the middle. I was quick enough to see this and removed the panel before it cracked!! This happened within 10 minutes of the tank being in the sun. The trailer was on the road so the road temperature could have been a lot higher than the 37 degrees forecast.

So I am one day behind as I had to reapply the acrylic. Same procedure as before, clamps, timber and magnets.

So hopefully I can start the initial fill with NSW and put the new substrate in. I have chosen something different for the substrate ;)

Thanks for reading :)

Tang

Jul 21, 2011
Sydney
This tank will be shut down after he gets bored with it in say 6 months I reckon HAHHAHAHA

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
glad the move went ok look forward to seeing what you do with the setup this time around anything going to be changed?

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
This tank will be shut down after he gets bored with it in say 6 months I reckon HAHHAHAHA
Hey Matt, welcome to the thread.
I thought of you the other day when I was eating rib fillet on the bone, marinated in hickory sauce, slow cooked to perfection with hot coals, served with roasted vegetables smothered in cheese sauce and chunky potato wedges sprinkled with chicken salt, chillie , lemon and swimming in sour cream.

As a side we had freshly steamed garlic butter and chillie tiger prawns.

Then for dessert, we had a home made rum and rasin cheese cake with double cream dusted with chocolate.

Oh yeah......how's your diet going? ;)

Tank has settled nicely after the move, I will be picking up my corals tomorrow :) :)

The new scape is a little different from the last.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
...rib fillet on the bone, marinated in hickory sauce, slow cooked to perfection with hot coals, served with roasted vegetables smothered in cheese sauce and chunky potato wedges sprinkled with chicken salt, chillie , lemon and swimming in sour cream.

As a side we had freshly steamed garlic butter and chillie tiger prawns.

Then for dessert, we had a home made rum and rasin cheese cake with double cream dusted with chocolate.
Holy heaven when are you opening your own restaurant??

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Am I supposed to be jealous? Lol
Yep :p

So the house move went really well and the tank was moved without only problems.
The only causalities were a few turbo snails :cry

Tank has stabilized as I had concerns of doing a 100% water change during the move.
The scape has changed into two islands instead of three.

A friend gave me this - I have no idea what it is??? Morph?
afarm8.staticflickr.com_7010_6828794485_d4b3d9f6ee_b.jpg
My Ember Blenny loves to sit next to it
afarm8.staticflickr.com_7175_6828794697_3d8a67bb4d_b.jpg
Tell me he is not posing :cool:
Speaking of posing, here he is again ,just resting back
afarm8.staticflickr.com_7015_6828795679_b7df525a05_b.jpg

A pic of my Purple Tip Jardini
This little guy/gal is tiny, maybe 5cms across
afarm8.staticflickr.com_7027_6828842859_d805b46f92_b.jpg

Some Zoas
I am not really a fan of Zoas, they do add a bit of difference in the tank though.
afarm8.staticflickr.com_7009_6828795357_6d54261a03_b.jpg

All the hammers are doing very well.
Especially this green one, It has grown so much since I purchased it a few months ago.
afarm8.staticflickr.com_7015_6828794165_cac90ac5e7_b.jpg

The bubble and frogspawn are happy too
afarm8.staticflickr.com_7005_6828796119_2bf880e9a0_b.jpg

Left Hand Side

afarm8.staticflickr.com_7019_6828796547_f20b8126e2_b.jpg

Right Hand Side
afarm8.staticflickr.com_7025_6828797009_431c653112_b.jpg

There is a few nice spots I have to fill in on the right hand side that are saved for a few nice bits as they come in.

All in all, tank is doing good.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Megan said:
Holy heaven when are you opening your own restaurant??
I wish I could! :)

What settings are you running your Tunze pumps - 2 x 6205's seem a lot for this size tank??
Yes the two are for the next tank I have in mind when we build our own place. They are set to 30% Power 1, 45% Power 2, interval mode at 5 minutes from memory.

Looks a picture, I like your style with the islands
Thanks mate :)

looking good :worship
Cheers Matt :)

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
I am pretty happy with the black sand. I saw it on a friend's tank and a few online. It really makes the corals look brighter than with the white stuff.

It is from Carib Sea and packaged with bacteria. Just pour straight in. It cleared up within 1 hour :)

The pumps are still to powerful and give the middle section a good blow.

I wanted something different ;)

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
Very nice looking tank mate. Love the ember blenny, I got one just last week as well. Mine is a little different though, alot more red in the face and dorsal, but on yours the fins are clamped so cant really see it all that well.

Love the hammers as well buddy!