Tank Journal Archive

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
Your water must have a lot more solids in it as when I changed mine they were no where near as dirty.What is your standard tap water reading just out of interest?

Matman

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Your water must have a lot more solids in it as when I changed mine they were no where near as dirty.What is your standard tap water reading just out of interest?

Matman
The last time I tested my tap water it came up 224.
It has tested as low as 187.
I am located in Brisbane's north, it would be interesting to compare readings with other people in Brisbane and all over Australia.
What is your reading Matman? :)

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
Mine is only 110 ill never complain again lol.In town I know its even lower I think under 100.I think the further away you are it picks up further rubbish on the way?

Matman

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Tested my tap water, Sydney, came out at 86, pretty good for tap I'd say. Still don't drink it though:p
Beautiful tank by the way!! How did I miss this one?

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Mine is only 110 ill never complain again lol.In town I know its even lower I think under 100.I think the further away you are it picks up further rubbish on the way?

Matman
I knew I hated brissy water for a reason and now I know why lol.
Matman
Yeah Brissy water has been getting progressively worse since 2009. These are only my tests though, interesting though.

Mine measured about 60 last time I measured it :)
I wish mine tested that low, I'd say your filters should last almost 3 times as long?? In theory :)

Tested my tap water, Sydney, came out at 86, pretty good for tap I'd say. Still don't drink it though:p
Beautiful tank by the way!! How did I miss this one?
Thanks mate :) Wow, I would have surely bet that Brisbane water tested lower than Sydney :eek

Just tested mine as 116 upstairs and 112 downstairs.
I guess we both live in suburbs that use a much older piping system???

149 for me. I've had worse :D
That's honestly what I would be expecting for Brisbane?

See solids do go uphill lol.
:D

I would be worried about what is in the pipes??
Not really, it's easily accounted for by the variance in the meter's readings. Pipes are fine, and I make my water downstairs anyway.
As Rod and Todd Flanders would say, "Iron helps us play" ;)

My dad was impressed with the amount of crud that came out of the filters.

Speaking of crud.........................

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
It has been around 3 months since I put my Swabbie into action.
Maintenance is recommended around the 3 month period......Heres the part I have been dreading. :confused:

ai990.photobucket.com_albums_af21_Lutjanus_82_DSC_0035.jpg

It's thick, dark and vile
ai990.photobucket.com_albums_af21_Lutjanus_82_DSC_0038.jpg

The only way to describe it "JAM"
ai990.photobucket.com_albums_af21_Lutjanus_82_DSC_0041.jpg

The skimmer cup has a drain that is emptied every 3 days, I could let it fill to the top, but it smells so bad that it stinks the whole room out:cry
ai990.photobucket.com_albums_af21_Lutjanus_82_DSC_0037.jpg

ai990.photobucket.com_albums_af21_Lutjanus_82_DSC_0036.jpg

The sludge at the bottom is so black that I needed a spood to scoop it out :eek

Best investment for my tank so far :)

If anyone is thinking of getting a Swabbie, do it! It increases the efficiency of your skimmer, you can spend more time looking at your tank, than cleaning your skimmer :)

Very happy with it :D

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Oh god... I bet your old man was excited when you broke that out in his kitchen... :D
I was not game enough to clean it with anyone in the house :eek

Thats just gross lol.
Trust me, it smelt 5 times worse than it looks ;)

awesome set up mate
Thanks mate :D

I thought I might display the Solid Carbon Dosing System I have been using for the past few months.
After doing extensive research and reading many many articles about bio-pellets, I came to the decision that they would be a valuable addition to my tank to control Nitrates and Phosphates.

The brand I chose was the NPX Bio-Pellets.

You will come across many horror stories about bacteria blooms and tanks crashing from these pellets. Some people have even named the pellets ""Crash Pellets" :eek

The top 3 most common problems associated with them are;
(1) Too much flow through the media/reactor
(2) Too less flow through the media/reactor
(3) Inappropriate amount and initial dose to the aquarium

I tried to learn from these 3 problems that many others have encountered and came up with a solution that has worked considerably well for me.

My tank has never suffered a nutrient problem, this could be due to many factors, a large skimmer, frequent water changes and sensible feedings. I believe all these things work to keep my nutrients at a maintainable levels.

I had read that many people reccomend the TLF reactors with around 1000-1200Lph for fluidization.
I tried the small reactor and couldn't get the pellets fluidized :cry
I then tried the larger of the two reactors and an Aquabee 2000/1 pump for fluidization.
This combo has worked the best for me. I think it helps to have a larger pump that you can dial back.
A larger pump will also allow you to momentarily flush the media if it compacts over time, or mulm accumulates.

Here is 500mL of media in the TLF 550 Reactor.
A fair amount of pellets have been consumed by the bacteria already since they were put online.
ai990.photobucket.com_albums_af21_Lutjanus_82_CSC_0124.jpg

ai990.photobucket.com_albums_af21_Lutjanus_82_CSC_0125.jpg

Here is a video of the tumbling rate I have had success with

It is important to run the outlet of the reactor very close to the intake of your skimmer to ensure all excess waste/bacteria can be skimmed out ;)

Many people use a screen to stop the pellets from dropping to low in the reactor, I have had no problems using the supplied foam, there are a few pellets that are stuck between the foam - Oh well :p

I strongly believe the bio-pellets have helped considerably to maintain my N + P. ;)

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
How do you plan on fragging the torch?
Hi Megan,
The torch coral has a skeletal base with many heads coming off it.
The hard skeleton can be easily cut away with coral propagation tools, that are simply metal cutters. You can get them online from places like Guppy's.
I also use an Ozito rotary tool that's a cheap copy of a Dremel. The little cutting discs are perfect for making clean cuts through the skeleton. A cleaner cut has a greater chance of healing quicker and lessening the chance of infection. You will need to wear eye protection and a dust mask when using the Ozito to protect yourself :)

When you cut them, make sure you cut as far away from the top of the head as possible.

:)

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Here are some pics I took today of my dwarf angels.
I was lucky enough to pick both of them from a tank that was shut down recently.
They have both been doing well. It is really hard to capture the colours in the fish as they swim around so quickly. They love swimming in front of the powerheads. They definitely have their own little personalities. I have a feeling the pictures might be a tad dark :rolleyes

First is of the Coral Beauty. This fish is very timid in comparison to the Flame. The colours are a deep purple with hatched yellow throughout the body
ai990.photobucket.com_albums_af21_Lutjanus_82_CSC_0079.jpg

ai990.photobucket.com_albums_af21_Lutjanus_82_CSC_0080.jpg

The second is the Flame Angel, strangely enough, I think this fish is turning male. Its fins have become elongated and have started to develop a point, it definitely wasn't like this a few weeks ago ;)

I really like the first one, almost displaying :)
ai990.photobucket.com_albums_af21_Lutjanus_82_CSC_0078.jpg

ai990.photobucket.com_albums_af21_Lutjanus_82_CSC_0081.jpg

ai990.photobucket.com_albums_af21_Lutjanus_82_CSC_0082.jpg

Thanks for looking :D

I should have cleaned the glass a bit better :confused: