Tank Journal Archive

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
Flame is currently dominant female, give it a month or so and if "she" develops more black banding on the flanks you know what's up. You're looking for 8-9 for a full male.

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
Im trying to take some pics of mine,how the heck do you get them to stay still long enough lol.By the time my camera focuses there gone.
Nice pics.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Im trying to take some pics of mine,how the heck do you get them to stay still long enough lol.By the time my camera focuses there gone.
Nice pics.
Rather than chase the fish around the tank, watch the fish for a while and you will generally pick up a swimming pattern where they will regularly swim past a specific area. Set up your camera and pre-focus on this spot and then wait for the fish to come to you.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
looking great! what did that skimmer set you back?
Matt, the skimmers can be picked up for between 1500-1900 depending where you look. I had one of the first 2010 models with Ben having the smaller 200 size. We went with the option of sourcing them from a retail shop for peace of mind. I prefer buying larger pieces locally for any issues that may arise. Its all fine and good to buy like places from Sewatec. Just remember, any issues and you will have to pay for shipping both ways :)

This was the skimmer on my last tank that was 1000L and it did it quite comfortably :)

They are great because they can be fine tuned so the air:water ratio can be manipulated easily. There is no way I would have chosen this skimmer for this size tank..........or would I :rolleyes

Flame is currently dominant female, give it a month or so and if "she" develops more black banding on the flanks you know what's up. You're looking for 8-9 for a full male.
I'l keep an eye on the flame. Thanks :) Definitely getting more colours too and not as timid as before.

Nice pics.
Mataman, I am still learning how to get the most out of my camera.
It helps if you turn the circulation pumps off or low. Feed mode for example.
Does your camera have any manual settings? I am just learning how to play with these ;)
A fast shutter speed of 1/200 or faster is quick enough to get a clear picture.
Bump up the ISO to 400 or 640
Adjust your aperture so it's a large f number, I use 2.8 - 1.8.
I need to play with these is post so I can get them a bit brighter ;)

Rather than chase the fish around the tank, watch the fish for a while and you will generally pick up a swimming pattern where they will regularly swim past a specific area. Set up your camera and pre-focus on this spot and then wait for the fish to come to you.
Thanks for another idea, I might try this, as I haven't before :)​

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Here is a pic I just took that I really like :)

It's turbo time
ai990.photobucket.com_albums_af21_Lutjanus_82_CSC_0005.jpg

It's like they were posing :rolleyes

I started with only a handful when I initially seeded the tank, now there is 50-60 :D
These guys are a valuable addition in your clean up crew, they spend most of the day sleeping and only really head out at lights out. These 2 have been cruising at the waterline for the past few days though.

Their egg mass looks like a stringy mass of goo with tiny white eggs. I'll get a picture of that when I find them ;)

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Its one of these http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympussp550uz/ I set it to auto and take a picture,I have no idea about cameras.Ill start another thread and someone might be able to give me a few pointers?
Hey mate, I had a quick look at the specs of your camera.
Have you tried the "S" mode? Give that a go and set the ISO between 400 and 600.
Set your white balance to the mode that selects the nearest colours when you take a picture.
Maybe starting a thread would be the best idea like you pointed out :)

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
So I came home this morning to find my return pump dead :mad:
2nd Laguna 6000 to die within its 2 year warranty :cry
The place I purchased it from was very prompt in replacing the pump the first time.
The remaining warranty was carried over for the second one and now it had died outside the warranty coverage :cry

With most the shops being closed today, a quick fix had to be made.

I purchased a Red Devil 4000 for a utility water change and backup pump a few weeks back. I have placed the Red Devil inline for a temporary fix. I might get a couple and keep them on hand as I am inpressed with their flow and overall build quality. No more wasting money on Laguna's :p

Now I just have to wait for Guppies to re-open so I can get 1 as a spare ;)

What's the important lesson learnt here???? Always have a spare or backup plan in place for pumps. Return pumps, circulation pumps and utility pumps. Always have a spare something ;)
Why? Because there will be a time when you least expect, something will fail :)

Jarryd

Dec 31, 2011
Perth
How is your starfire glass looking? You said earlier on in your thread that it scratches easily?

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
Hey mate, I had a quick look at the specs of your camera.
Have you tried the "S" mode? Give that a go and set the ISO between 400 and 600.
Set your white balance to the mode that selects the nearest colours when you take a picture.
Maybe starting a thread would be the best idea like you pointed out :)
I must have missed this,thanks for the ideas ill give it a go.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
I'll see of I have time to take a quick FTS in the next few days if I have time.

We pick up keys for our new place at midday tomorrow so the stressful job of moving begins!

We are moving all our stuff over first, then the tank in the following week.

Excited as it will be our first place :)

Oh the joys of moving ;)

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
How is your starfire glass looking? You said earlier on in your thread that it scratches easily?
Hey Jarryd, sorry I missed your post - A new page came up :)

Do I like the starfire? Yes.
Would I get it again? Probably not.

I am anal with taking care of everything I own, and unfortunately still ended up with scratches. It's just one of those things :rolleyes

With the amount of light the ATI's push out, It doesn't seem to be an issue what grade the glass is.
I'll just get a clearer type of float., not starfire ;)

So the my 3 rooms are almost packed. Slowly and surely.

I have organised to borrow an IBC that will be filled this week and will be moving the tank after Monday. Yet another tank transfer for me. I think this is number 11 :eek

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Ran out of time tonight Matt - My photoperiod is only 6hrs, 14:00-20:00.

I did take a really interesting one of my bubble coral, I notice it completely changes structure at night.
All its feeder tentacles come out :)

I tried a pretty hard shot with a softbox flash to try and get a pic of it. It looks really weird
Remember, this is complete darkness almost. The bubble coral is middle in the picture.
The colours are completely gone, but you get the idea
ai990.photobucket.com_albums_af21_Lutjanus_82_CSC_0015.jpg

I think its really amazing how things adapt to the environment we create for them. This only happens as the lights go out :D

Next pics will probably be moving

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Night time is definitely more interesting sometimes with LPS :)

So the second day of moving and all my stuff is at the new place except the tank and some tools in the garage. My feet are sore and my back is killing me. Waiting to hear back from the water delivery guy as to when I can organize it :)