Tank Journal Archive

TJReid

May 21, 2012
Frankston
New fts removed a 20kg piece of rock that was just wasting space, nems yet to take to the movement but his getting there.. trying to move him more the the left to allow me to stack more corals on the right and in the middle... so hard to work around such a big nem... anyone up for swaps for a smaller one ?

DSC02652.JPG

Also picked up a small frag of green star that'll hopefully start to take off and grass out like in vpreef's tank ! so cheers mate !

DSC02651.JPG

TJReid

May 21, 2012
Frankston
Oh also got some things for sale, two green finger leathers, zoa's, morphs, rics so check out the for sale section !

TJReid

May 21, 2012
Frankston
So took some more photo's for anyone interested and the nem's moved over more due to flow i changed in the tank pretty happy its sitting further away from my new sps piece otherwise it could get stung to death before it even has the chance to colour up :D

also noticed the coraline is starting to kick off quite nicely :) and further colouring up of my brown sps frags in the rack.. working at the nitrates to get them down to 0 - 1 and hopefully see some colouring speed up...

DSC02656.JPG

DSC02660.JPG

DSC02661.JPG

DSC02658.JPG

DSC02659.JPG

DSC02664.JPG

DSC02671.JPG

DSC02669.JPG

DSC02667.JPG

DSC02675.JPG

DSC02679.JPG

DSC02682.JPG

DSC02684.JPG

DSC02685.JPG

DSC02686.JPG

back walls getting there...

DSC02687.JPG

chalice is finally starting to recover / grow over where some die back was..

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Everything is looking good! Well, except that acro colony which looks pretty bleached ... was it like that when you got it?

TJReid

May 21, 2012
Frankston
it's a light pink with decent polyp extension up close.. hard to get a photo of it though the colour doesn't really show, a lot of it looks like grow tips too so looks as though its doing ok... looks a lot better in person i guess :)

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Looks good TJ, Faaaaaaaark that nem is cool and acros look to be doing well. just be aware of the acro bug, can cause you to purchase complete new SPS setup. lol;)

TJReid

May 21, 2012
Frankston
yeah its starting to hit in already.. tossing ideas in my head of a larger upgrade to a 5x3x2 sort of tank.. :D maybe smaller though

TJReid

May 21, 2012
Frankston
So i checked phos tonight and its reading 0.02 the rowa hasnt been changed for ages either nor the pre filter sponge been cleaned for close to 3 months, i usually crack open the top of the reactor and dump more rowa in on top of the old stuff, well i had been lately and was wondering if this is maybe why my nitrates are so hard to get under control.

so i've removed the reactor the pre sponge was holding so much shit.... could be the source of my nitrate factory ?

on top of this i've added an eggcrate stand to my middle chamber on the sump to get the live rock that the macro's growing on off the bottom of the sump to try keep the detritus buildup to a min, i've also added a tunze nano power head from one of my old systems to where the the reactor once sat to try speed up the sump flow / turnover and again stop detritus buildup, I also gave the sump a good syphon out and tidy, along with a macro lamp hanging over it hoping to speed up the nitrate exports...

so far no pox isn't doing anything and my nitrates hover from 5 - 10ppm and are only slightly lower then before I did a mass water change about a month ago... currently dosing 6ml a day and taken it up 1ml per week and testing nearly daily... so maybe now the rowaphos is offline i might see some change as they dont recommend you run a phosphate remover whilst dosing, although a lot of people online have and had no issues but I may have made my self phosphate limited and need to wait for it to creep back up to see it level off with my nitrate readings then both drop together so I'll continue to dose but may drop the dosage down over the coming week incase the reactor has been masking any damage I could be causing from dosing higher amounts...

TJReid

May 21, 2012
Frankston
haha cheers mate ! hope the xenia goes good in your tank thanks for the frags the zoa's are slowly opening up and getting polyps out on the sps already ! good dslr photo's would be great whenever your free maybe of the silvia too :P !

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Lol done deal buddy. The xenia is still sulking in a low flow spot of the tank at the mo, so hopefully it perks up soon. Cheers for the phosphate check too. Good to see I'm on the right track lol

TJReid

May 21, 2012
Frankston
Little update....

Took the reactor offline about 2 weeks ago to see how my phosphates would go and if the nopox would start to work a bit better now 2 nearly 3 weeks later my phosphates reading 0.03 and nitrates are 0.25 so looks like i made a good move on that behalf, also modifyed the refuge in the sump a bit more to stop detris build up by building an eggcrate rack for the rock and macro to grow/sit on and added my old tunze nano stream to the sump for extra flow along with 3 peps cleaning anything else that makes it past my 200 micron filter sock..

so all in all things are looking good and sps is colouring up a bit faster.. next on my minds a dosing pump so I can finally sit back and watch things grow then constantly worry and check and dose.

Cheers
Trent