Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
considering red sea's nopox potion

I highly recommend the red sea no pox. I only had to use it for a little while, about a week, and it brought the nitrates under control.

TJReid

May 21, 2012
Frankston
yeah ? i'm reading about it now but sounds like such a potion i cant believe it actually works it must be some form of carbon dosing ?... how did u work out your dosing requirements and did u need a low test kit ?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I started using it on a 36L nano and was dosing 3/4 ml daily ( I erred to the low side). It cleared up 15ppm nitrates in about a week and they stayed down. Haven't had to use it in my new 60 L. Strange stuff smells like nail polish remover - but it works a treat.

TJReid

May 21, 2012
Frankston
I was just told u need to use it with a very accurate nitrate tester and the api kits aren't good enough.. might buy some this pay though see how it goes.. nitrates are really holding my corals back :/

Thanks !

TJReid

May 21, 2012
Frankston
pods etc... what's naturally found in the tank got a decent size population so his always swimming around grazing ! shy but beautiful fish... he wont touch anything like pellets or mysis though..

TJReid

May 21, 2012
Frankston
yeah fuge is going off ! but i'm tempted to scrap it to run bio pellets... i prob wont but i need the room some where :(

TJReid

May 21, 2012
Frankston
Got a few sps pieces for free and fragged up some and kept some larger colonies so be interesting to see how they go and doing daily 20L water changes to get the nitrates down... :)

TJReid

May 21, 2012
Frankston
one more that is similar to a pink monti... i'm hoping the above on the left turns out to be a nice strawberry just depends if they come recover from bleeching out I guess and if i get my nitrates down quick enough

TJReid

May 21, 2012
Frankston
tips on the white one are slightly pink and the brown slightly purple / blue.. the ones in the frag racks tips are like a blue stag so hopefully with bit of luck they get polyps out soon and start to repair

TJReid

May 21, 2012
Frankston
so after changing 120L over two days my nitrates are still around 10ppm down from 40ish... still dunno why there so high thought the water changes would of definately lowered it more.. got another 3 more stocked up ill do tomorrow morning :/

trying to nut out why my nitrates are being such an issue ? rock maybe dying ? I'm stumped... not over feeding, skimming wet skim, phosphates tested 0.03.. :(

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
so after changing 120L over two days my nitrates are still around 10ppm down from 40ish... still dunno why there so high thought the water changes would of definately lowered it more.. got another 3 more stocked up ill do tomorrow morning :/

trying to nut out why my nitrates are being such an issue ? rock maybe dying ? I'm stumped... not over feeding, skimming wet skim, phosphates tested 0.03.. :(

I had exactly the same problem, I was doing multiple water changes and it hardly effected the nitrates. That's when I used the NoPoX and it fixed it straight away. Give it a try.