Tank Journal Archive

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
doc i honestly think that the effort you took to create proper tide cycles definately puts yours on par with that other tank.... sure might not be as pretty but a hell of a lot went into making you tank what it is.... i think yours looks nice and clean taken a minimalist approach.... can you imagine cleaning that tank it would be a nightmare !

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Now that my aquarium has been up and running for a few days, the archer is acting more natural. Below is a video of the little bugger just after the "tide has come in". The water is murky as the mudskippers have been burrowing. The water clears after about 1 hour following the incomming tide.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Seriously dude, I love every journal you post. You are always doing something different and it is really awesome. Great job!
We really have to agree with Dynamic post. Great job dr_schell! Your posts on mantis shrimps made a lot of us stop & think further then "oh shit! we have to pull the tank apart & destroy the shrimp!"

Are there or is there a way you could have little bugs for the archer to actually catch? :)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I have been thinking about the design of this aquarium, the tidal flow system. This system, in conjunction with a wave box, could effectively re-create a reef crest. Under such a system, a large ridge of corals could be constructed and the inflow/outflow pipes positions such to have the corals exposed to the air at low tide (as happens in nature). I will do some design work and see if I can practically apply this design.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Just thought that I would include a video of the "outgoing tide" If you watch the archerfish, it gets "swept-out" into the remaining water by the tidal draw. I innitially had concerns that the archer would get stranded on land, but it has not yet happended and after observing the "tidal draw", I do not think that it will.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Currently trying to source a pair of wrestling half-beaks (ie the are like minature live bearing gar fish) for this setup

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
just an updated video of the settled tank. The mudskipper (male) has constructed his burrow (concealed behind the wood) and they are now predicting this timming of the tieds (down to 5 minutes). The males has begun to court the female by displaying his fins and jumping into the air. The video below shows the animals during the high tide phase. I will try and get a video of the courting mudskippers.