Tank Journal Archive

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
In the process of up-loading a video of the "incomming tide" in this tank.
For those interested in mudskippers the following website is very useful in terms of providing biological information related to mudskippers, including reproductive biology. It also has excelent photo galleries and you will be able to see what it is that I am trying to reproduce.

http://www.themudskipper.org/

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I have attached a link to a video of the "incomming tide" for this tank. The video is in real time and begins at the lowest tide level and quickly reaches the high tide level. When the high tide is reached, the surface is skimmed and thus ensures that no oils or algae remain on the surface film of the water.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
cool as doc! my bro had some mudskippers in his shop for a while, Im pretty sure he sold them with the setup. he never kept them in a brackish system though I dont think. I couldnt even tell ya the sci. name for them as its been that long since he had them. his system was no where near as ellaborate as yours though he wasnt trying to get them to breed either. I look forward to seeing how you go with this, as it has been said I am sure if any one can do it, your the man to do so!
I love archer fish too, its really cool when you can get them to start shooting their prey, we had one in a display tank at the shop and it was a voracious feeder, was about 10cm long but would easily knock off 20+ crickets in a single go, 2-3 times a day. one of the regulars had a fairly large one (think it was around 25cm +) and he said it was eating cockoroaches around 5cm + aswell.

good luck with the breeding again, I will follow this thread with interest. Im sure you will let us know how your going and the stages they go through.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
thanks for the comments. I too love the archers and their only vice is that they become too large to be kept indoors for any lenght of time. As this one grows, it will be moved into an outdoor enclosure that houses my 2 Australian Watergragons. This little archer is often shooting down prey from the mangroves. When I return home next week, I will take a video of it doing so and will post it on the forum. Archers are another species that I would like to breed, and to my knowledge, only the freshwater species (not the species that I currently have) have been sucessfully bred and raised in captivity (by an australian aquaculture firm).

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
many thanks ;). Not really that hard to do, just had to think about what had to be done and then work out how to do the tides.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
yes, no water flow at low tide (just like in nature) but lots of water flow at high tide (2000L/Hour). Basically this is to replicate the pools that remain on the mudflats and then the flow replicated the tidal innundation. Given the large surface area/small volume during the low tide phase, the archer is not in danger of oxygen depletion.

WoodyMackay

Oct 12, 2011
The little biotope you have created is amazing, you should be proud! i wouldnt think of trying to copy incoming/outgoing tides, but you have done well!