Tank Journal Archive

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
What's confusing you mate?

Mini maxi is a carpet anemone it is exactly as the name states 'mini' it's mainly for those who want a carpet but want them to remain nice and small so they don't turn into a diner for your tank inhabitants or an unmanageable size

As @dr_schell stated they can grow up to 60cm whereas the mini maxi stays nice and small

They're pricey but a lot nicer jimmy but to be fair if I had clowns I wouldn't be buying a mini maxi for them to host, they will but nothing beats a BTA for clowns or a Carpet nem, I've only seen one or 2 carpets that are out there like a 6 color one a friend has and the Fluro orange ones.

Either way they're both relatively easy to take care of :)

Anyways enough thread hijacking from me sorry lol

Post some FTS' for us Jimmy, also how'd your bangaii settle? Interested to know who sexed them in the store or where you got them I can never tell the 2 apart lol

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
All anemones..well any coral, fish, invert will thrive only in perfect water parameters..so yeah I'd say similar..high light and moderate to high flow.

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney

Mini maxi is a carpet anemone it is exactly as the name states 'mini' it's mainly for those who want a carpet but want them to remain nice and small so they don't turn into a diner for your tank inhabitants or an unmanageable size

As @dr_schell stated they can grow up to 60cm whereas the mini maxi stays nice and small

They're pricey but a lot nicer jimmy but to be fair if I had clowns I wouldn't be buying a mini maxi for them to host, they will but nothing beats a BTA for clowns or a Carpet nem, I've only seen one or 2 carpets that are out there like a 6 color one a friend has and the Fluro orange ones.

Post some FTS' for us Jimmy, also how'd your bangaii settle? Interested to know who sexed them in the store or where you got them I can never tell the 2 apart lol

Yeahs totally correct Leo. It'll take a long time for these to grow though as they don't split like bubbletips. They just grow larger..so removing it when it gets too big is relatively easy..will be a very long time until anyways..well saying it stays in its spot I want it to. Narh it's all good dude, I like it, gives a good read of the info we all have about certain species of corals, fish and invertebrates. I haven't done any recent fts because I don't like the look of the frag box I have inside my tank..lol makes It look funny..and iPad pictures aren't the best to capture the detail I've scaped into the tank..only in person you can see what I mean.

I sexed the bangai is myself just by looking at them basically man. And they were happily swimming with each other when I put them in my tank..their behaviour is similar to that of clown fish..I got them from something's fishy aquarium

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I don't know really..they are sand anemones..but I don't have any sand..and I've kept a smaller one before..and it stayed in the rocks..but with this one..I've got no choice..I wanted it to anchor at the base of my rock work..but looks like its climbing..
Haddons carpet anemone will often attach to rocks, but under the substrate. These animals are ALWAYS found with their food in sand in nature and naturally occur in lagoons, no on reefs. The other 2 species of carpet anemomes attatch to rock. Your haddons is not likley to settle until it has it foot in sand/gravel

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
All anemones..well any coral, fish, invert will thrive only in perfect water parameters..so yeah I'd say similar..high light and moderate to high flow.
Haddons is very dolerant of water quality. In nature, they are often out of the water at low tide and exposed to full sun. As they inhabit lagoons and seagrass areas, their food is often burried in Anoxic sediments containing noxious sulphorous chemicals. These area are generally in shore and often have high nitrate and phosphate levels.

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Haddons carpet anemone will often attach to rocks, but under the substrate. These animals are ALWAYS found with their food in sand in nature and naturally occur in lagoons, no on reefs. The other 2 species of carpet anemomes attatch to rock. Your haddons is not likley to settle until it has it foot in sand/gravel
So basically Im screwed...can't keep the carpet..bummer..though it would just attach to the glass...as I don't have sand in my tank that why..guess no anemones for the nemos then.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
So basically Im screwed...can't keep the carpet..bummer..though it would just attach to the glass...as I don't have sand in my tank that why..guess no anemones for the nemos then.
A mertens carpet will attach to glass, as will a magnifica. However both of these species grow much too large for your tank

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
A mertens carpet will attach to glass, as will a magnifica. However both of these species grow much too large for your tank
Yeah that's true..it's sad..because my clowns will only host carpet anemones..bubble tips and sebaes they don't even bother..any other carpet is either too pricey or will basically grow too big too quickly.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane

the bangai can be sexed by the position of the 2 spines between the pelvic and anal fin
males have a space between the 2 spines and the female apears to only have 1 spine

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Yeps, that's totally correct. Lucky they only had one male. And the rest were females..lol I just picked the biggest female. Would be cool to see them breed inside my tank..I wonder if anyone would be keen to buy a carpet anemone..don't see much of them being sold.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
this is why it is best to research the livestock BEFORE you purchase it. However, you now have the opertunity to find a good home with enough room and sufficient substrate to give the anemenone a good life.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
will this kind of nem be okay in my new setup im planning @dr_schell
will be happy in a tank with substrate (argonite or crushed coral sand) at least 5-10cm deep. As it can stretch up to 20-30cm in either direction you will have to protect your corals. This species is unlikely to climb the glass or rockwork, so you can use that in your scaping. Placing your corals up high will ensure that they stay safe. The carpets are heavy feeders and Haddons will need VERY REGULAR feeding to remain in top shape. Best clownfish for this species are Clarkii or Polymnas clowns, both of which are natural symbionts. Haddons will eat nearly any animal that touches it (is very sticky), so ensure that it is lit at night so fish see it. Do not keep with mandarins or gobies as they are likely to be consumed. You want a tank that is at least 4ft so fish can avoid it.