Reef Discussion

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I can't say I would try, the best option is to get them on their stalk , they often reproduce then and fall off the stalk when they are ready the new one will grow after the old one is off. Cheers

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I think the relatively cheap price of most fungia's makes this uneconomic for the most part - as mentioned in the article they are a slow growing coral and there is a serious risk of infection during the healing process.

But it would be interesting to see the results if anyone wants to give it a go :D

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
That looks to be in one piece Matt - this is a thread about fragging :DAre you offering this up as a sacrifice?

BTW The hammer (??) in the background doesn't look too good?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
That looks to be in one piece Matt - this is a thread about fragging :DAre you offering this up as a sacrifice?

BTW The hammer (??) in the background doesn't look too good?
Lol no just wanted to show the colour I have only ever seen 2 similar :D
As for the hammer. I lost alot of the back of it due to s floating rhodactus that took out 5 other hammers to a few weeks ago, :(

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
Actually the lfs I go to had a fungai that was attached to a piece of rock.Is that how they come naturally then they drop of new ones?I've got a huge fungai in my tank ,its getting way to big.I was going to take it back to the lfs,but they won't give me anything for it.I want a smaller one with some colour.Or should I have a go at cutting this one up?I have a dremel,I don't mind cutting it up.But how bad would it pollute my tank?
Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Actually the lfs I go to had a fungai that was attached to a piece of rock.Is that how they come naturally then they drop of new ones?I've got a huge fungai in my tank ,its getting way to big.I was going to take it back to the lfs,but they won't give me anything for it.I want a smaller one with some colour.Or should I have a go at cutting this one up?I have a dremel,I don't mind cutting it up.But how bad would it pollute my tank?
Matman, it is unlikely that the Fungia was naturally attached to the rock - somewhat unusually for a stony coral, these corals are mobile and are able to move, albeit slowly. They are found naturally in open sandy areas.

Is yours a long tenticled variety (Heliofungia) or a short tenticled variety (probably Fungia) ??

If you do decide to frag it, I would cut it and place it in a seperate container of tank water for 10 minutes, replace the water and leave for another 10 minutes and then place in the tank. If you are worried you could run some carbon for a while but I think it should be fine as there is not a lot of flesh on these corals.

Cheers

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
I have seen them in the wild.When diving lady musgrave island they were everywhere.Mine is the heliofungai.I do have the short version tho.I should have taken a pic of the on at the lfs it looked exactly like a fungai but it was growing of a stalk?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Fellas In the wild they are found on "stalks" attached to rocks etc. They then fall off this stalk when ready and ane one grows , reef secrets has one on a stalk in his display and he has had a few come off it so fr

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Fungia's can reproduce sexually as well as asexually - there are numerous reports of seemingly dead fungia's coming back to life with numerous daughter colonies emerging from the 'dead' skeleton.

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
So should I have a go at fragging my heliofungai or not.I don't mind having a go at it.I might make up a frag rack to keep it up of the sand to give it more access to circulating water?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Sounds like we might get another entry in the frag competition shortly;)

Your call mate, its your coral - but if it's too big and you can't swap it then why not.