Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I wouldn't be too worried about a frag rack - as mentioned, these corals can move and you don't really want them falling off the rack and ending up upside down.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Try not to cut the flesh with the dremmel as it will burn it - cut most of the way through the back and then cut the flesh with a scalpel.

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
Thanks I was wondering about that.It is a long tenticled so it has a bit more flesh.So if I cut it in quaters will that be ok for the comp.Or do I need to smaller?

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The competition is all about propogating a coral and learning from the experience - not about the size of the coral.

If you can cut it in half and get both to survive and pass one onto a fellow hobbyist then you have prevented one coral from being removed from the wild - that has got to be a good thing.

Slightly off-topic, but I was recently reading an article which indicated that larger acro frags (5cm if I remember correctly) had a significantly greater chance of survival compared to smaller frags - smaller is not always better.

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
Yes I suppose there is more surface area so has a better chance?If its a fungai there would be more chance of infection if cut smaller?

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I would base it on what you want to achieve. If it is currently too big cut off one section the size that you want it - and then do what you like with the rest, maybe cut this section in half again i.e. end up with 3 sections.

This is a fairly slow growing coral so you don't want to make them too small to start with.