Reef Discussion

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
yea, thats what i was thinking, but im not sure because its sitting right in the middle of the flow, i guess we will see what happens, it seam to be quite harmless atm, so ill leave it where it is.
cheers

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
agree on the fluffy.

If you show me a single head of that first one id say definite euphyllia family, the plating growth has me though it dosnt seem characterisitc of that family at all.

Good one!

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I bounced it off Ben the ever so masterful id'r apparently he has seen something like it recently as it was discussed to be some obscure genus (which he cant remember), not euphyllia though

First time I have ever witnessed ben forget something!

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Then who wants to take it off me before my urchin eats it all?????!!?? he started eating the bright white bits one day so i just left him to it :(

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
You could put the urchin in a basket inside the tank for a few days while you decide what to do? Just make sure Urchin gets fed while he is in there.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
thats true, easier for me tho would be to move the coral up, so i might do that now, but i might have to wait about an hour as the urchins on it now

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
extent of the damage so far caused by the urchin. Well beyond my skill to heal, as i thaught the urchin was just cleaning off the dead polyps or whatever
DSCF9362.JPG

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
the skeleton structure looks similar to one I got not that long ago and wasnt able to get a positive ID on it either. mine was a purple colour though, not brown. did exactly the same as yours though and bleached a fair bit. it is on the return now though even has some small babies on the rock.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
easier said than done, im working with a tiny ammout of room here, a 3x14x18, so locking down any area would be quite drastic

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
The pink one looks like a leather coral, although i do believe it looks a little bleached. Given some time in good water, it could make a come back.

As for the brown one, looks like a rhodactis morph - similar to a mushroom coral - i had a couple of those (similar in colour and condition as your one) in my nano and after a couple of months under some decent water conditions, they have now turned purple with green tips. They can be seen in the middle of this pic.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Teeny bit of growth happening now, there is tissue growing on about 2/3 of the skeleton and I can actually see movement of some polyps in one corner as they are getting longer :) I will post pics but not much to see yet