Tank Journal Archive

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Chris's Nanno Tank
Hi Guys,

Have attached some pics of my nanno - is a standard 125L AquarWorld "plug and Play" Tank. Tank is standard without any modifications other than an additional circulation pump. Tank has been running for several years. Contains a pair of Percula Clowns, a Giant Majano anemone (very tough species that thrives in this tank), Anemone crab, 4 blue eyed cardinalfish, and a pair of Mandarine Dragonetts. The lighting is a little yellow for my liking and have to replace the bulbs. Never the less, I get much enjoyment from this little tank.

Enjoy

View attachment 42
Nanno1.jpg

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Hi,
Just uploaded a video of this tank onto Youtube. You can get a better appreciation of the plating nature of the Coraline algae in this tank from the video. When this tank was stated, it was baren. All of the coraline, etc including some corals that have formed (with the exception of the anemone) have come from the seawater that I harvest from Moreton bay.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
The orange stuff up the top is a macro-algae. A form of Gracillaria. It self estasblished when Ifirst set up the tank and I have propagated it (attache it to rocks to rom holdfasts) so it is in all my tanks. It is very tolerent of differnt light levels, is excelent at exporting nutrients and does not get eaten by fish or get algae on it. Looks great under moon light as it glows! I do sell this algae when I get exces. Usually sell a handfull of $15 + postage. It can be cut completly back as long as the holdfast is not damages. It quicly regrows.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
i really like it! Adds a different colour to the mix. Next time you are cutting back, let me know, i could be interested in purchasing some.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I usually sell it without a holdfast. Happy to trade if you have something abailible. Could frag it up so it forms a holdfast :-)

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
would tieing it to a rock in a low flow area creat a holdfast? I unfortuntley dont have anything to trade - but woould be happy to purchase ;) Only if you have some - otherwise ill wait until your next trimming session

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
always have some. If you can make it up my way we could discuss tanks also and could demonstrate how to make if form a holdfast

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
has taken 2 years to grow. Was more extensive but was broken when I removed the 6 lined wrasse from this tank

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Did the six line wrasse affect the tank in anyway causing his removal? Reason I ask is I have one of these...

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
no, the 6 line wrasses were perfect inhabitants. Just wanted them in the large tank. The Grammas were giving them grief. 6 lines are a strange type of fish, some people get monsters and others get puppy-dogs. My large male (see in the fish section, here is the link of the pair spawning - http://www.thereefuge.com/threads/fish-spawning-six-line-wrasse.98/ ) is 6 years (got it as a fry which was wild caught) and the female - the smaller of the two, is 2 years. Both of these fish have never bothered any other fish, and they tend to be bullied by others (eg the bangai cardinals and the clowns).

Just as an aside, the 6 line wrasses (like all wrasses) have socially determined sex selection. The dominant fish becomes male and all sub-ordinates become female. When the male dies, the next most dominant fish becomes the male. To sex this species, the female has a small white spot (looks like a single ich spot) within the black oscili at the tail base. Males do not have this spot. If you keep a sixline alone, it will automatically become male, regardless of size. Males cannot be kept together, but females can. As few people keep six-lines together, most of the individuals for sale are males. You have to get to the shops quick to get a female before they change sex which can happen in a matter of weeks, regardless of size.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Not sure about that one.

When I put my pair together for the first time, the male rushed towards the remale and looked as though he was going to tear her to shreds. However, she reacted by curling herself into a half circle and bringing her tail near her face, and between the male and her self. In this position, the white spot was very obvious and the male's aggression stopped immediately. From that point on, there and been no aggression within this pair. I suspect that non-reproductive juveniles would have this spot also as it seems to inhibit aggression (just like the twitching that male clownfish do to signal submission to dominant females).