Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Yes yes, mine was white spot on the tail when I picked it up from the LFS six months ago...now it is a male for sure... amazing stuff.
Thanks for sharing that info that is cool insight into my fish. I know this specis lives for ages , my mate had one for ten years, sad when they die.

Talmier

Jul 24, 2011
When you say the Nano is plug and play does that mean just unpack it and you have all the equipment required?

I'm looking to get a second tank shortly and I want to go a nano but I am unsure what equipment comes with it and what needs to be bought.

Do you have a link or a model number for your nano?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
yes, the tank came with the lights, skimmer, pump, etc. All I had to do was add water, live-rock, cycle the tank and then add the critters.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
yes, if I had the money, I would have bought the red-sea max. From what I have read and seen, they are great little units, with reef quality lighting and flow. The Aquarworld unit that I have as PC (Power Compact) Florecent lights that are not strong enough to grow corals. Probably why the coraline algae grows so well :-)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Can't believe the coralline growth in this tank! Is it the same form of coralline as what you see on the backs of people's tanks? Do you dose anything or just regular water changes?

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
Can't believe the coralline growth in this tank! Is it the same form of coralline as what you see on the backs of people's tanks? Do you dose anything or just regular water changes?
No. It's a different species to the types you'd be most accustomed to seeing. "Coralline algae" is a generalist term which applies to a wide variety of species, some form general encrusting forms which you'd be used to seeing, whereas some such as this form plating sheets just as this particular species does. Some even form massive agglomerations which are in effect artificial bommies by virtue of their sheer magnitude.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Thanks Nork - you could have just told me without pointing the gun at me (I believe you!) :eek

Now I'm disappointed I have never seen this species in an LFS here before, we need to get some circulating in Vic!

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
Thanks Nork - you could have just told me without pointing the gun at me (I believe you!) :eek

Now I'm disappointed I have never seen this species in an LFS here before, we need to get some circulating in Vic!
I was waiting for that! :P You do see it on live rock on occasion, however it tends not to present very clearly at LFS simply because it gets smashed off during transit. It's always a nice surprise when it shows up!

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
I have seen a few pieces of LR with the plating type coralline on it up here, my brother had it on a piece he got, I did try and take a "cutting" of it and get it to seed in my tank, it might still be in there but it disapeared into the rock a long time ago.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Haha n0rk, I am a little worried about you, did you pull the wings off insects as a child? ;)

jashay - dang, I was hoping to culture some and get it going. I'm planning on propping some mixed rocks with GSP, Xenia and morphs and it would be great to get some of this coralline on them as well. Will give it a go if I can, tips on growing it successfully from the Great Doctor?

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
Haha n0rk, I am a little worried about you, did you pull the wings off insects as a child? ;)
Not at all... but I did pull the engines out of things and rebuild them as things which were totally new... :D I'm crazy, but not in a dangerous way!

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
Megan - my effort in getting it going I must admit was a little assed in the effort I put into trying to get it going. I did put it into a crack in LR and just hoped. Im sure if it had a little more effort put in, a fair bit more than one piece around a fifty cent coin size and a good anchor or weight on it to hold in place I am sure you would have more success then I did.

let us know how you go anyways, I might try again myself aswell. would possibly even just get a little piece of LR with it on. just wouldnt want a mini cycle to happen which could happen too, but in an established system I doubt it would cause any noticble problems.