Reef Discussion

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Fish Spawning - Six Line Wrasse
Hi All,

Just thought that I would share this video that I took of my pair of Six-line Wrasses Spawning. The larger fish is the male and the smaller is the female. The sexes in this species can be distinguished by a small white spot which is present on the black osceli which is at the tail base. Males do not have this white spot. Like most marine fish, the wrasses change sex, the most dominant fish is a male and sub-ordinates remain female. I have not read of anyone sucessfully rearing this species. I have not yet tried, but this pair of fish spawn regularly. One day I will get arounf to harvesting the eggs and trying to raise the young.

Enjoy.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
The fish can be seen spawning very early in the video, they come together and then rush towards the surface. The eggs/sperm are released when they reach the surface of the water. Also in this video, you can see the female Bangai Cardinal that is guarding her brooding mate (she rushes towards the Chromis to keep them away).

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
video cant be seen due to privacy reasons. im guessing you need to make it a publicaly viewable video or put it onto youtube. great work on the spawing it seems all your breeding programs are paying off

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Hi All,
Just thought that I would provide another pic of my spawning sixlines. They have now taken to spawning every 2nd to 3rd day and the chromis are so used to this that they loiter around waiting to vaccume up the eggs.
Enjoy.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
That tank is awesome! I love how you have incorporated the macroalgae into it. What sort of wave maker do you have?