Tank Journal Archive

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
im not a fan of the "sterile" look. my frag tank was bare bottom and i was always finding i had detritus build up quickly with no CUC to remove it.
Yeah i know what you mean, I think ive gone to the stage of caring more about the corals (SPS) looking perfect than the overall look of the tank

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
This tank has been a big inspiration to me all along mate...during all of its stages! Now that I looked back at this tank, I realised you had gone through quite a few changes aswell!
Funny thing is Ive looked at your tank along the way and it gives me ideas and made me do change things as well, Ive probably wasted a bit of money buying, selling and swaping coral along the way with the different styled but I havnt really had any bad losses apart from a $250 ric letting go of a rock and being minced my the vortech.....that really hurt

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Matt G said:
whats next on the table? now you have mastered sps. nps? :D
I love NPS and there is 8 Balinos, 2 dendos and a tubsatrea already in there.

I would love to give a dedicated NPS system a go but the problem support just isnt here in Australia. Its taken me a little over a year and a half to pick up the balinos and dendros and even that has involved begging the collectors. Unless I did a tank full of tubastrea I would never even get this nano looking stocked. Most of the better species are collected from far north qld in areas where the sea is too rough so the collectors just dont go there I can probably get a rizo and a tube nem but both seem too agressive and likely to eat my little fish.

We also dont have any products like rotifeast, oysterfeast etc and while there was plans for Nam to bring in Fauna Marin it hasnt made it to the Australian market place so things like the gorgianans, sea squirts, dendronephthya, cirrhipathes spiralis, scleronephthya, guaiagorgia and terrazoanthus are just to hard to keep even if I could get them as we only really have golden pearls and cyclopese to try and remotely sustain them.
But to answer you question, i dont know I think its probably time to stop taking on challanges and just go back to what i like and what looks good. I think a substate needs to come back, more wavey corals and dare i say it even some fubber (which apart from xenia and the hitch hiking toad ive never done), more fish! the pair of grammas and bangai look a little loney. I think a mini school of chromis and anthias would look cool, Ive put in a request for half a dozen sexy shimp maybe a blood. I dunno im pretty open at this stage but I think a change is on the cards and there will be some nice acros offered for swap

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I hit the go button on an elos system 120 today, so will keep playing around with this for at least the next 8 months while I get the it set up

V

'vspec'

wow, damn what a ride. How much to go again? ;)
Good to see your skill set bud.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Thanks man, there is a little bit to go to get us up to speed, a change in skimmers , changing over the live rock to the over priced hand made in france "aquaroche" stuff and the tank basically becoming sps dominated.

But the tanks due for another change and im thinking sway style lps and flubber, heavily stocked with fish. Which is going to presents its own problems with toxins and heavy nutrients

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I think only better things will happen in the 120cm Elos! I really cant wait for that to be delivered

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
ill shoot you a pm to prevent there being any public evidence my wife may use as reasons for divorce proceedings.

But disapointingly i just recieved an email stating that although my LFS has an account with them they wont supply them as they dont have an elos display and that the nearest place they will accept the order is from salt at emu plains. This is a 160K round trip and i live in central sydney!

If they wont supply locally where i can get local support ill either buy it online and save myself a grand or tell them to shove it and drop my money on something else

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
hehe it funny that out of all the cash ive blown on livestock nearly everyone's favorite coral is a piece of fluber that grew as a hitch hicker.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Pretty awesome hitchhiker! Have you ever propped it? I know the Americans don't have much success fragging their yellow Sarco's, they don't seem to like it much

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
no, thats whats scarred me about fragging it, i don't care so much about if the frags arnt successful but id hate to kill the mother colleny

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Yeah that would suck to lose it. Some things just aren't meant to be risked.

Welcome to Melbourne! I'm sick of my time off being ruined by the weather, too hot to be outside. Having said that, tomorrow I get to work in a stuffy office with no air flow. What work are you doing here? Hail stone damage of.....

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I think its safe to say that whereever you are in Australia... Its damn hot!

Having said that I always hear about heatwaves in melb and its funny that the melb heat waves mirror the adelaide heat waves just a little less intense and alittle shorter ;)

Beautiful tank by the way!