Reef Discussion

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
sump was pruned of caulerpa 2 weeks ago i have a diy led light set up over the sump and it goes rank
3 stage sump
1st stage just skimmer
2nd stage coral rubble and macro
3 stage just the return
its 3 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot

skimmer pulling about 1 cup full of crap every week.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
what species of Caulerpa do you have. I had some in a nanno that decided to go 'sexual' and wiped out my tank. The species I had was C. taxifolia.

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
Yes, as the cycle proceeds, nutrients become a limiting factor and the algae will starve and die. The addition of herbivorous Gastropods (snails) will help to control the algae. What filtration do you have? Canister filters are the hardest hit with such outages.
no canister filters got rid of them when i upgraded tank to the 4x2x2

which snails would you advise i was looking at trocus (is that how its spelt)

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
If it was me .. I would
A .. get rid of the coral rubble in the sump
B .. Get a RODI filter ( if you don't have one ? ) I read in your tank journal that your using asw for water changes , With the water changes plus top ups .. It would be hard to export that amount of phosphate that would come from the tap water , It would only have to be a low amount in the tap water and it will build up over time
c .. Manually remove as much as you can ...If you leave it there , When it dies it might just release nutrients back into the water again
d... Keep your chin up , Most of us have seen this in one of our tanks at some stage

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
If a snail (or anything) is dead pull it out. CUC are for what you don't see - remove the things you can see.

Rotting animals aren't going to help your cause.

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
he is gone was in an area i could see him but no hope to get him small cave at back of rock work so the cuc did their job, is the 1st snail i have lost even with the hermits
have 1 trocus in there only small but see him every now and then water change tonight 30 ltrs will be the 3rd change since i logged this post dont want to shock the system to much. still have shite loads of small starfish (the white funny shaped ones) but i am doing a cull every time i see them fun fun