Reef Discussion

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
I'd be taking a close look at your phosphates. At times, a tank can tolerate reasonable levels of free and organic phosphates with no real visible ill effects if everything else is in reasonably good balance, until an event disrupts that balance, in your case, power outage.

Just my $0.02

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Stop topping up with tap water, this is most likely your problem.

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
In my experience some of the first things to go are the snails - a few of them dead in the tank is a lovely source food for an algae break out. Plus they always die in places you can see.....

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
What @Elias and @Buddy both said. Probably a phosphate problem, and tap water isn't going to help.
Perhaps increase your water change interval for a while (perhaps a couple of changes within a week initially then once weekly for a while). If nothing else, it might help reduce that nitrate issue until your system starts to settle again.

Just don't do anything irrational like dump all your water, or start filling the tank full of algaecides or anything like that. Just test those phosphates, then work on getting your params back to reasonable through more regular water changes. Clean out what algae you can in the mean time.

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
The higher the bioload on the tank ie. the more fish you have , The higher the chance of a nitrate problem ( unless you export it somehow ), What test kits did you use for the nitrate ? As David said , Testing the phosphate lvl and going from there would be your best starting point ...Along with weekly water changes for a while

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
red sea test kit and tap water is filtered never had problem before. but with the power outage lots snails could have gone belly up. will try to do small reg water changes and look at a phos test kit any sugestions on brand to use???

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
depending on your budget . Hanna phosphate checkers make life easy
How long ago was the power outage and for how long ? snails are fairly tough , I would of suspected the fish to go before lots of snails

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Hi newbiereef,

Just checked out your TJ has the algae got worse sins you changed the lighting? Looking at the pics it looks like it has always been present in minute amounts indicating there may have always been a small issue and something has exacerbated it?

Don't be dishearten I have been on your position before and most in the hobby have had algae issues at least once :)

Are you running anything in your sump or just the skimmer? any macro algae in the middle chamber?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
red sea test kit and tap water is filtered never had problem before. but with the power outage lots snails could have gone belly up. will try to do small reg water changes and look at a phos test kit any sugestions on brand to use???
A bit of flooding at the local reservoir and the quality of your water source can change... a lot. "Filtered" can also be quite misleading - what does it filter out or more specifically, what doesn't it filter out? If the filter material doesn't deal with phosphate, then the filter isn't really relevant in this context. It might however take out the copper, which is a good thing, but does nothing to help in this situation. Better than nothing, but don't have an expectation that it does everything.

More importantly - on to some regular water changes, and I think you'll sort yourself out over the next couple of months. As for test kits - I have the same problem with phosphate test kits.. different answers on every one that I try lol. I reckon a hanna phosphate checker is a good investment (though I haven't bought one myself yet).

Good luck, and keep us posted :)

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
A bit of flooding at the local reservoir and the quality of your water source can change... a lot. "Filtered" can also be quite misleading - what does it filter out or more specifically, what doesn't it filter out? If the filter material doesn't deal with phosphate, then the filter isn't really relevant in this context. It might however take out the copper, which is a good thing, but does nothing to help in this situation. Better than nothing, but don't have an expectation that it does everything.

More importantly - on to some regular water changes, and I think you'll sort yourself out over the next couple of months. As for test kits - I have the same problem with phosphate test kits.. different answers on every one that I try lol. I reckon a hanna phosphate checker is a good investment (though I haven't bought one myself yet).

Good luck, and keep us posted :)
might be it as a lot of peolpe are complaining about the water quality

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Yes, as the cycle proceeds, nutrients become a limiting factor and the algae will starve and die. The addition of herbivorous Gastropods (snails) will help to control the algae. What filtration do you have? Canister filters are the hardest hit with such outages.

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
S
lighting hasnt changed in 2 years @ megsez
@Luke lost power for 36 hours got gen set after 24 lost flame angel and bristle tooth tang
Sorry mate mis read your post showing Magic your lights. What are you running in the sump for filtration just the skimmer?

If you are not running macro or anything I have plenty and would be happy to send you some if you wanted to give it a go if you covered postage