Off-Topic

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Why don't you post?
hi all

At last count I saw we have 301 members.I find it interesting that it always seems to be the same people who post. What are people's reasons for not posting
? can't be bothered/seen it all before/scared they'll be shot down in flames( we don't do that here at all!)/ are more introverted than the rest of us/not comfortable with shooting their mouths off/ don't wanna wear false boob aprons( sorry could not resist)

So come on people- post something up- anything or reply to this at least:D

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I find often people don't want to be shot down. community is everything. i am a member on computer forum and you get attacked for asking a question or trying to make conversation. i dont bother posting there yet i read it daily. this is by far the nicest and funniest community i have seen on a forum. everyone seems happy!

rusty1

Jul 21, 2011
Gold Coast QLD
I find forums are 2 fold.

1. You can read information and 2. You acn join in if you wish.

I don't post just to get a post count up. If the question has been answered then I let it be :)

If I have something to contribute I will generally add it or correct something that maybe mistaken or I believe could be done in a better manner.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
This is by far the friendliest form I have ever seen online.

People feel intimidated by others, simply because, that is the nature of other forums.

I love the feel and willingness of others to help complete strangers. It's not only the quantity of help being offered, it's the quality.

I have seen the exact question posted on another forum that gets shot down in flames. Where as here, constructive criticism is given. No one on here proclaims to be a reefing god, doesn't mean there aren't many hiding though :worship We all know who you are :D

Other forums allow you to be a valid "source of information" only if you have made 10 000posts. They don't have to be good ones, just 10 000 of them. I have noticed always there are "X" amount of members online and ten times "X" guests. I have a strong feeling these are from another forum just coming over to have a look to see how well things work here ;) and how well they could ever work for their own if they look past today and take a leap into tomorrow.

Gunnie

Dec 13, 2011
I will post when I have direct experience about the topic and can share my experience and how it worked out
I hope this forum stays open minded and welcoming in nature because the one thing ive learnt about reef tanks is that is no defined correct method for anything, and no two tanks are ever the same

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Well said Gunnie - I would like to hear what your thoughts are on anything on this forum, even if you are not sure about it. Any questions or comments you have on content here on the forum will be well received. No experience necessary. I also hope this forum will keep the awesome atmosphere it has currently - this is a hobby and it's meant to be enjoyed. There are downsides too and its great to be able to post about them without sarcastic remarks from others and it gives people who are new to the hobby the knowledge they need to avoid the same pitfalls.

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
It happens on most forums.People hate being shot down in flames.Smaller forums do make it easier.On another forum I'm a member off we have a "veteran's"section where only people who have been there for a year? or more can post questions and usually get a straight answer without the attitude .But it has its flaws as a ten year old doesn't have the experience either lol.Not that it needs it here.

Matman

rusty1

Jul 21, 2011
Gold Coast QLD
Well said Gunnie - I would like to hear what your thoughts are on anything on this forum, even if you are not sure about it. Any questions or comments you have on content here on the forum will be well received. No experience necessary. I also hope this forum will keep the awesome atmosphere it has currently - this is a hobby and it's meant to be enjoyed. There are downsides too and its great to be able to post about them without sarcastic remarks from others and it gives people who are new to the hobby the knowledge they need to avoid the same pitfalls.

I think it also comes from the other side as well, the newbies asking and getting the advise required but choosing to either press ahead or ignoring what has been offered. Can be very frustrating when you see the "disaster" thread later on and can have the effect that those experienced guys stop offering advise.

They are funny things forums and how they work. Peoples perceptions ECT and opinions formed of 1 another.

It is like doing business via Emails, only part of the message gets through sometimes.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
In my opinion, the contributions of those that have just started out are JUST AS VALUABLE as those of people that have been reefing for years. No one likes to be shot down, that is true, however, I hope that as people become more accustom to this forum, they will realise that we are all hobbiests with similiar passions. We all want (I hope) to provide the best conditions for our tank inhabitants, and the only way to learn is to either ask questions, or read a response that others have made that is in a previous thread.

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
Just to add on to dr_schell 's reply. Even if the question has been answered, you can still make a comment about it, even if it's just "Wow, I didn't know that, that's cool! " etc. This way we know your reading the information on here and learning something from it. I don't know about others but hearing, or reading someones response to a question they didn't know or understand gives me a pretty good feeling :D

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
even if a question has been answered sometimes its good to see the same answer a few times.... then you know that whats being said has to be fairly true not that i think people here set out to deliberately steer people in the wrong direction but sometimes something sounds a bit far fetched but if 15 people agree then obviously it must work

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I probably read forums and the likes for about a year before I ever started posting