Reef Discussion

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
its the top part of the fin... they seem happy.

the other guy is too fast to get on camera but his bottom right fin is gone
That doesn't look like a torn fin - looks like it has rotted away, exposing the bone beneath to me. But that's a little bit of an uneducated guess.

msammym

Jan 13, 2014
Hey Guys,

All good isn't a parameter. Are you able to list what you test, your result and the test kit used.

I have a heap of kits and would be happy to test your water to double check if you like.

Don't worry about small scars, they will heal. Personally I live with whitespot and try and manage it as best I can, however some time in the future I hope to setup a Q tank, strip the DT out and treat all the fish. It's just a mammoth task for me. Is it doable for you now given your tank is relatively un-established?

Also, blue tangs are notorious white spot magnets. Not really an ideal beginner fish - but we are where we are. I've never seen what your fish has - maybe time to invest in a really good Marine fish disease book?
I did think about a QT tank but everyone advised against it... They said it will happen no matter what... So I thought. Why waste the money! Lol

Did you get my text today? Let me know when you are free and you could test the water if I bring some?

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
the blue tangs top half looks like white spot. the bottom looks kinda like white spot but not sure. id say its just white spot but hard to tell from picture. mine also get that that exact bulge pattern in the gut when it eats a lot so i dont think its a problem or mine mite have the same problem -_-. good luck with the treatment.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
looks to me like a re-occurrence of white spot. The lumps and scars in the skin are likely cause by perforation by the parasite. If you provide nutritious foods and good water quality, the scars, lumps, spots, etc will clear in time. The lumps etc. are NOT consistent with Marine Head and Lateral Line Erosion (MHLLE) disease.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
its the top part of the fin... they seem happy.

the other guy is too fast to get on camera but his bottom right fin is gone
Agrees with others, this looks like a torn fins resulting from fighting. Does the blue tang act aggressively? Tang are formidable fish equipped with scalpel-like spines at the base of their caudal fin. These spines are often used to 'slash' other fish. Alternatively, if you have another clown of similar size, they may fight to establish dominance (dominant fish will become female). Aggression in clowns is normal during the 'pair formation stage' and non-lethal damage to fins is common.

This does not look like disease, but mechanical damage.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
hey guys,

I got a tang a couple of months ago and it got white spot the next day.... it wasn't severe and went away on its own.

now she looks like this .....

excuse the water... just moved some unhappy coral around (may have dropped it in the sand a couple of times.. whoops)

sooo what is wrong with this fish????
Hi how is your tang going, i got one a week ago and he looks the same as yours, i am new at this 2, and don't know what is best 2 do

msammym

Jan 13, 2014
Hi how is your tang going, i got one a week ago and he looks the same as yours, i am new at this 2, and don't know what is best 2 do
Hey, my tang is fine now! Just make sure you have good water quality. My tang has almost doubled in size :)