Reef Discussion

msammym

Jan 13, 2014
What Is Wrong With My Fish??????????
hey guys,

I got a tang a couple of months ago and it got white spot the next day.... it wasn't severe and went away on its own.

now she looks like this .....

excuse the water... just moved some unhappy coral around (may have dropped it in the sand a couple of times.. whoops)

sooo what is wrong with this fish????

Attachments

msammym

Jan 13, 2014
What size tank? Any other fish upsetting the tang?

Blue tangs are very susceptible to stress...
400l
6 chromis
1 fox face and two clowns a star fish
And two peppermints that I never see

Other than that just coral

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Hmm, from what I can research - it still sounds like ich, just without the white visible spots.

Couple of options, you can soak the food you feed it in Garlic - may help?
You could remove the tang and treat in a hospital tank with a medicated additive
Or you could try and ride it out (not really recommended, will infect other fish)

Only one opinion though and that is based on about 10mins of web searching - so please take as a suggestion only :)
Sam

msammym

Jan 13, 2014
Hmm, from what I can research - it still sounds like ich, just without the white visible spots.

Couple of options, you can soak the food you feed it in Garlic - may help?
You could remove the tang and treat in a hospital tank with a medicated additive
Or you could try and ride it out (not really recommended, will infect other fish)

Only one opinion though and that is based on about 10mins of web searching - so please take as a suggestion only :)
Sam
Thanks for the help! There's also something going on with my clowns fins.. They look like they have been sliced. Ill upload pics

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Hmm, hopefully the Blue tang hasn't brought parasites in with it to the rest of the tank...

I'll wait and check the pic, but the clowns in my Nano have injured fins from hosting a torch coral instead of the BTA in the tank. If it is just that, nothing overly major to worry about (other than visual reasons!)

msammym

Jan 13, 2014
Hmm, hopefully the Blue tang hasn't brought parasites in with it to the rest of the tank...

I'll wait and check the pic, but the clowns in my Nano have injured fins from hosting a torch coral instead of the BTA in the tank. If it is just that, nothing overly major to worry about (other than visual reasons!)
they are hosting a heelio

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Hmm, the Helio could be doing it, but these look more like a cut rather than some sort of burn from a coral they think is an anemone...

No crabs in tank? Coral banded shrimp?

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
A

all is good other than phosphate
Hey Guys,

All good isn't a parameter. Are you able to list what you test, your result and the test kit used.

I have a heap of kits and would be happy to test your water to double check if you like.

Don't worry about small scars, they will heal. Personally I live with whitespot and try and manage it as best I can, however some time in the future I hope to setup a Q tank, strip the DT out and treat all the fish. It's just a mammoth task for me. Is it doable for you now given your tank is relatively un-established?

Also, blue tangs are notorious white spot magnets. Not really an ideal beginner fish - but we are where we are. I've never seen what your fish has - maybe time to invest in a really good Marine fish disease book?