Reef Discussion

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
What Is This Strange Thing?
Hey all....

I saw this thing in my tank last night. I haven't noticed it before... any idea what it is?

IMG_8475.JPG
IMG_8476.JPG

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Where are you located Dean? I'll come and rid your tank of that (pest).

Nothing to worry about.

It does looks like a piece of red sea weed with orange edges doesn't it?

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Where are you located Dean? I'll come and rid your tank of that (pest).

Nothing to worry about.

It does looks like a piece of red sea weed with orange edges doesn't it?

Yes it does... I am curious why you wish to come and get rid of it lol. Do you want it? and what is it? lol.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
No Need for questions Dean, this is serious!

I have been looking to rid someone of this (pest) for quite a while now.

Act now Dean! I remove it for you.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
OK Dean, for me to make an exact identification, I will need to visit and take a portion of it away for a comprensive detailed scientific investigation.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Dean, I begged them at Aquaristic to give me the piece that was in their little display tank and they wouldn't sell em any. Then when I returned some weeks later, it was gone! The guy said it got eaten!

It's probably dragon's breath.

It is very beautiful Dean.

You should get yourself a fry-saver or some other small containing to keep it isolated in your tank and hopefully it will grow.

If you want to get rid of it, I would happily visit and take it. The offer is still open.

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Well funny you should say that. on that same piece of rock i grew a piece about 1.5inchx1.5inch piece and it fell off the rock and I moved it elsewhere and it is fine.

But i noticed it doesn't fluoresce under blue light.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
From the pictures I've seen on the internet it looks like they might look different as they get larger.

How big are yours at the moment Dean?

Maybe you would consider fragging a teeny bit off?

Webb

Sep 21, 2014
It grows into a nice red 'bush' that glows orange under blues. Have it growing on my scape and in the sump too. Have to trim it back from time to time but it's great at sucking up phos apparently.
It's front centre of my profile pic in old tank.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Is it soft or hard ? It might just be me but it looks a little like plating coarline ?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Give it a few days to grow out, it looks like Dragon's Breath to me too, but it's gonna need to grow out some to make a positive ID.