Tank Journal Archive

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Update 1
So firstly a big thanks to David at Elos Australia and Paul at Majestic for putting up with my millions of emails on this and for getting it all arranged.

David in particular has been working very closely with me and the guys at Elos to ensure that this comes out as best as it can. I really don't know any other distributors that get this hands on with the public and are so driven to achieve the best outcome for the customer. When buying something at this level you generally have pretty high expectation on service and for him to have exceeded that speaks real volume.

I have decided to go with the blanc cabinet and hand polished doors, for those that have seen my previous set ups and know my wife this is no surprise!
phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpg.jpg

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
A picture of the standard sump, of course the skimmer has been upgraded to the new PS2000 which is a new release and there is basically no information on them out there, I have heard a few peoples reports that the PS1000 is amazing better than the old NS1000 which was already classed as a top shelf skimmer. So even with that improvment I opted to get the upgrade. Instead of being rated for 500l this one is rated for 2000l :cool: Ive been told if I do this I need to keep the tank HEAVILY stocked so Im thinking lots of anthias and chromis in the background?

phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpg.jpg

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I also grabbed the Osmocontroller for the ATO considering there is the nice big resovour on the left hand side of the sump, these are all digital, with an optic senor that allows for changes in height of the water due to normal movement of the waters surface, they have also upgraded the sensor which Ive been told I will have one of the first of.

Warns and shuts off it the pump runs dry, any errors detected or the water level rises suddenly.

co2_models_photo_id29.jpg

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Two things im stuck on at the moment is lights and circulation pump choices.

Lights
I think its come down to the Elos aquatop with glass covers or the Illumagics. The elos are easy in once sense but I thinking the Illumagics may end up with a better end result, somebody from Elos is meant to be ringing me latter this week to run though all the details and I wanted to have a close play with the illumagics as well before making any decisions, but between these two I really dont think there is any wrong choice.

Circulation
Holden Vs Ford ie Tunze Vs Vortech. Ive been a vortech man for the last couple of years but I must confess the noise is driving me batty at the moment a would love a quiet system again. Im opened to be convinced either way at this stage!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Adam ive been waiting for this thread for ages , cant believe this is making group. cant wait to see this setup :D

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I was hesitant about putting up a journal on it but after looking back over the cube TJ its really good to see how things traveled along and give you a bit of perspective as well.

I thought the input from everyone on here would be great as well

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Yes they are very nice, I had a mini ordered about two years back from a shop in france and it smashed on the dock and they refunded my money and refused to try send another one. Its nearly half the price to buy these overseas as it is to get them through Elos Australia but I didn't want that to happen again and possible not get refunded the money this time

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
A mini is a 43cm x 43cm x 40cm and in france costs 1000 euro's after freight and includes the e-lite. AU pricing is $3700. Massive difference

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
Elos tanks in the marine world are what ADA tanks are in the freshwater planted world.

The attention to detail on them is outstanding!

I can't wait to see this all unfold, Ads, it will be something special that's for sure :).

Cheers,
Jamie.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I like how Az and yourself liked it, I think you will be unliking it or will be busy on the day Im moving this in after you see the stairs up to my place :)

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Wanted some ideas here as well.

I wanted to get some yellow tangs (i know its on the borderline size wise but I want to keep it nice and open.

Im trying to score a gem tang but from all accounts it sounds like Im going to be paying to dollar to get something that will be brown with white dots :( so will see what happens there, maybe just a juv chevron again?

If i go the elos aquatop I wanted to get a pair of helfrichi firefish as well, always wanted a pair of those but they dont go well in open top tanks.

Then I am thinking it will just be filler fish like dispars and blue green chromis to add life/movement and fish poop

Suggestions?

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
A mini is a 43cm x 43cm x 40cm and in france costs 1000 euro's after freight and includes the e-lite. AU pricing is $3700. Massive difference
What do you get for $3700, Ads, just the tank and light, or cab and sump as well?

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
Why don't you go Ventralis Anthias instead of the Dispar? Yep, they are expensive, but expense surely isn't an issue when you are talking about Elos setups and GemTangs :p.

Even something like Bi-Colour Anthias, they're nice and bright and easy to keep. I don't like Chromis much, but that's just me.

I really like small groups of Yellow Tangs, they look great!

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
What do you get for $3700, Ads, just the tank and light, or cab and sump as well?
yup with a few extras tank/overflow, LED lights, cabinet, sump, skimmer, ATO, plumbing, return pump and medias. When you start adding all of those bits and peices up whilst still expensive they are things that you normally dont tank into account.