Off-Topic

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Saw a DSLR in Harvey Norman catalogue today for $368 - single lens set up, 12.MP. Can't recall brand. I was pretty amazed because they're usually a lot more than that and I've been dying to get one for years

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Saw a DSLR in Harvey Norman catalogue today for $368 - single lens set up, 12.MP. Can't recall brand. I was pretty amazed because they're usually a lot more than that and I've been dying to get one for years
12mp doesn't make it a good camera all the new phones are 12mp now!! It all depends on glass quality, sensor quality etc, new galaxy s4 camera is awesome for a phone camera

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Depends what you want to do with the pictures. 12mp is fine for most people. I would go for it @MichelleShocked if you have been waiting years! A cheap camera will still keep you busy for a long time learning how to use it properly.

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
12mp doesn't make it a good camera all the new phones are 12mp now!! It all depends on glass quality, sensor quality etc, new galaxy s4 camera is awesome for a phone camera
Yeah I was aware that most of the really new DSLRs have 18 or 19 MP but 12MP is pretty good for general photography, I thought. Hadn't thought about the glass quality but figured it would be reasonable.

Depends what you want to do with the pictures. 12mp is fine for most people. I would go for it @MichelleShocked if you have been waiting years! A cheap camera will still keep you busy for a long time learning how to use it properly.
I might layby one. Presently I am waiting to buy a nano with sump included (about $200) and as Megsez is busily fragging morphs and zoos for me, I best get that first. Then I can buy a camera to take gorgeous pix of them :D

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
if its just coral pics cant go past a cheap underwater camera. a 300$ camera kit will have a nasty as kit lens but its a good way to get into the hobby! if you want to have a chat shoot me a message :)

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I got the 1100D for $328 and it is fine for a beginner. Allows close up photos like this one
tang.jpg

to long shots like this
IMG_0714.jpg

I am very happy with the camera and the lens that came with it to get started, no matter how 'nasty' it is o_0

Yes I am looking at some better lenses now that I am really enjoying it, but was in your shoes a month or so ago Michelle and think the one you are looking at is worth getting.

For someone like @MTG who is obviously a very good photographer (his work prooves that) it would be hard to recommend a low end camera and lens as he sees it as pretty poor, but as a beginner not wanting to throw a heap of money into it in case they don't like it you are best to start at the end you are looking at

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
And lets not forget that the image generated by a $400 camera today would be better than that generated by a $1,000 camera 2 years ago (I am making up the numbers but you get the idea).

Just like computers really :)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I had a d3000 with kit lens once, I still got some good pictures, but your right it's hard for me to recommend something that is so far below what I use everyday in saying that the body doesn't matter much for Web resolution, a lot of my pics were on a 500d but with a good lens (1400$ 24-105) people couldn't even tell the difference compared to my 7D ( with the same lens) ( at Web resolution of course ) obviously as soon as you blow it up the pics look nasty tho! Kit lens will do you for a while if you like it then look to upgrade latter,

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
And lets not forget that the image generated by a $400 camera today would be better than that generated by a $1,000 camera 2 years ago (I am making up the numbers but you get the idea).

Just like computers really :)
As above the glass is what determines the clarity more so then the camera (unless you start blowing images up for canvas's)

Some lens haven't been changed for years to!!! Just look at the 17-40 L it is ancient :D

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I can already see the need for a better lens to get some better shots. The kit lens is almost like a try before you buy type of thing
Sure is does what it needs to do tho, what's your budget? What focal length?

For what kit to get I personally think the 60D with kit lens is hard to go past for any amateur, the 60d has the pro Feeling a lot more rugged, better controllable settings and you will find it much more usable if you take the step into photography then latter on all you need is to get a better lens,

But if budget is a problem the 1000d will still work! You will just want to upgrade it sooner =D