Reef Discussion

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Have some ideas. I have a wooden floor, so it's going to be designed to spread weight across the entire base of it. Want to have an isolated section for electrical, and a stack of room for sump. Thinking maybe open backed just to make getting to the valves on the calfo setup easier to access should I need to.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Have a look at Post 21 on my TJ - there is a link to an excellent stand design. I also have a seperate section for most of my electrical equipment.

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
I'm only new and already thinking about a new tank......how much does polishing the edges of the glass make...it looks so much better.

Also meant to ask I see a few guys drawing up what they want to build.....what software do they use...is it hard to operate....I mean I'm a builder and can do sketches by hand to my hearts content but would love to take it to the next level.

Last couple of things related to a new tank....

I would like a wider tank...maybe 900mm x 1800 long x 600 high.....what are the issues with strength, does glass have to be really thick, for example is the width at 800mm way cheaper? So optimal size for a wider tank,

And lighting in particular....say with length obviously most lights come in 1' increments so that's easy to work out, what happens when you relate width to lights...and using LED's for example can you say go to width of 'x' with them running along the tank and then you have to change to say 2' fittings across the tank....do you know what I mean

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Just received quote from Ernie@Reeflections.
Tank with overflow & drilling + sump about $800 all up, so a lot better than the last quote. Based on what they've told me for the sump, I couldn't buy a "cheap" tank here for that price, and get some glass cut to build my own. Might head in there next weekend I think.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
It's been a while since I bought a tank but $800 sounds OK for tank, sump & overflow etc. Make sure you know exactly what you are getting so there are no surprises later. I would draw a detailed picture showing everything, distance of holes from edges, size of holes etc.

I don't think you will have any problems with Ernie - I have always found him to be a pretty honest guy.
Certainly a fair bit better than the first quote :D

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Ernie mentioned details would need to be discussed - was heading to melb next weekend to do some coral shopping, so I figure if I go in and have a chat about what I'm hoping to have when it's built and see if we can work something out to get the ball rolling.

Yeah - I like the price. I have one outstanding quote, but I doubt it's gonna be much better. This one is miles in front of the first quote, though the $200 delivery fee compared to $50 for the first quotes delivery is a bit different. Asking around the family to see if someone has access to a station wagon I can borrow to see if I can make sure I've got a plan to get this home after it's built.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Thinking about the sump a bit more as it's the only bit I really haven't though enough about. The main tank makes sense, overflow with three outlets makes sense, putting in ball valves down to where the sump is makes sense.
I'm thinking dialing back to a 3 section sump - first one for where water goes in and feeds a skimmer, over to a DSB/Fuge, through a bubble trap and into the last section where the return pushes it up. Does this sound like a reasonable enough sump to get going?
I don't want to bog myself with tech toys just yet - all that can come later when I can afford it. Does a 3 ft x 1.5x1.5ft sump sound like it's adequate for this?

Also - the return pipe back into the tank - obviously having this above the water level would ensure no possibility of siphoning if something goes wrong - is having it above water level going to cause me grief, or should I have it just below water level, and rely on the design of the overflow to ensure that if things go pear shaped, that it'll stop too much water from escaping.... especially as the sump should be more than adequate to cope with that volume,

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
My thoughts ;)

• 3 section sump sounds fine. I would have the bubble trap between the first section and the fuge - this will stop almost all the bubbles leaving the first chamber. Any that remain will dissipate in the fuge area.
  • Your sump size looks good - don't skimp on the first section as you never know what size skimmer you might want in the future. Have a look at the footprint of a range of skimmers designed for this size tank and size your first section based on this.
  • I would have the return into the tank with the top just marginally above the water level - this will minimise splashing and noise. You just need to size the baffles in the sump appropriately to handle the water siphoning back into the tank.
Cheers

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Thanks for that MagicJ - haven't gotten around to skimmers yet. Was thinking of trying to keep to about 1 foot per section or so.
Thought initially I'd probably go with a secondhand skimmer until I can afford a really good one.
I won't be rushing to stock this tank once it's going, so my first skimmer will probably spend its time dealing with the tank cycling, and probably dealing with rock curing.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
OK, so now that I've cemented plans on heading in to order the new tank next weekend, it's time for me to think about cabinets, etc.
The cabinet isn't of major concern - have built enough of them now to build things the way I want them so I'm not too concerned about the bottom of it (actually nice and simple, with a narrow section seperated with a side door on it for electrical because I like the layout.
What I am curious about is what sort of evaporation most people get with this sized system? In my case, the room its going in has gas heating on for 8 months of the year which won't help.

Concerns I have right now:

ATO - dunno quite how to integrate one into a sump instead of display tank.

ATO tub - don't think I can fit anything big enough in the bottom of the cabinet if I have a 3ft sump and a section for electrical separated. Was thinking about getting a 60l container or so which will be located at the other end of the room (along the same wall), and running some PVC across from it through the back of the cabinet and into the sump. Use an extension cord to run from the ATO relay over to the pump. Won't have enough space where I want the tank to go to keep an external water container next to it. The water container will actually be located next to where I wanted to put another tank for a different tank.
Really want to have a decent sized tub for ATO given that the room spends 8 months of the year with a gas heater on, so I expect to loose a lot to evaporation (I loose 3-4 litres from my nano a week as it is). I figure with such an increase in surface area I'm likely to loose it at a higher rate. I'd also like to have enough water in there to last a lot longer than a week if I really need to.

ASW tub - I may duplicate the basic ATO setup for ASW. I'm a fan of preparing a few days in advance, and I really like having about twice the amount I need incase things go pair shaped, and the idea of loading one container with water and salt to make it, then eventually move it to another container before getting it into the system for water changes is double handling. If I put a manually controller pump plumbed direct to the sump, I can reduce the double handling and lifting.

Lighting. This is my big one. I've decided I really don't want a bulky hood type thing over this tank, as it's going to obscure some of the view, and be a pain in the ass to move. I also can't hang anything off the roof. The difficult bit is that I don't know what type of lighting I'm going to wind up with initially - eventually it'll be all LED, but obviously that's going to take a while to happen.
Still haven't gotten my head around how to do this....

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Pump won't be strong enough mate they have very little head i have a 300olph split between chiller display and frag tank get about 500lph flow through the display tank I would definitely go the 3000lph ,make sure you don't make the water level to deep in the sump no more then 20cm otherwise it will be a pain with skimmers 15cm is a good depth.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Figure if I buy a couple of them to get water from my water tubs to the tank, then I'll have spares. I like spares.
I'm scared of working out what skimmer to get, but thats for later.

I was going to permanently mount the LED kit for my nano... Starting to think I might temp mount it when I get it, then eventually use that as part of the lighting for this tank.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
OK - so tank is ordered. Had a chat with Ernie @ Reeflections today. I've moved away from a calfo style towards a design Ernie thinks is almost as good, and easier to build (and cheaper). He'll also handle the plumbing and getting a vinyl backing installed.
4 weeks from now and I should have it (build won't take that long - I just can't afford it until then). Almost time for a new TJ :D

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
We changed the overflow back to a smaller box design - one primary outlet with one emergency pipe setup and a return all plumbed into the back. Showed me how the layout worked on some of his tanks.
It bought the pricing down a bit, and that facilitated getting Ernie to arrange the plumbing so I don't need to worry about it.

On a side note, they had a Rapid LED kit in there that they'd just built - they made a box with acrylic cover over the LEDs - they also had the same controller that I ordered, so I got to see how that worked.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Just make sure you are happy with the final design. Ernie is a good guy and I would trust what he had to say but, it is YOUR tank and not his :).

The primary outlet - is this going to be a siphon or durso ??

Good that you got to see the LED's - I think Dave built all the ones in the store.