Reef Discussion

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
what was the quote for exactly? what size sounds abit pricy,
ill give you an example. my 3x2x2 was 600 with weir 3 holes, overflow comb, black acrilic on weir. supposibly polished edges. in standard glass.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
what was the quote for exactly? what size sounds abit pricy,
ill give you an example. my 3x2x2 was 600 with weir 3 holes, overflow comb, black acrilic on weir. supposibly polished edges. in standard glass.
4x2x2 tank, 10mm glass all round $660 Drilling overflow $250-00 (for calfo ) Custom sump $350inc DSD, refuge etc

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
bump it up to 12mm, sounds expensive for the sump. just buy a old tank and get glass cut and make the sump yourself. my sump only cost around 150 for a brand new one. but that was only two chambers i dont like lots of sections.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
i did want a 4 section sump. Had thought about some DIY, but I don't have a usable shed, and tend to lack space to work on things like that. Not sure a sump is super difficult to build though.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i failed at making one once haha, just plan it out and take your time. i prefer the simple aproach

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I was going on the idea that I wanted to really not mess around with the glass too much (same reason I want the overflow built for me). I foresee plenty of DIY coming up already - but the glass work I really just want done. Put it this way, DIY on anything large is a pain in the ass enough in this place, that the cabinet for it will be built in SA most likely and brought back here once it's together.

Still curious to see some suggestions of other places that might worth asking for pricing to get a comparison. Obviously I want to chase a sharp price, but I'm not trying to shave the price down enough to DIY on this bit. The sump maybe, depends on what other options come up with pricing for the display tank.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
$350 sounds a lot for a sump - you should make up your own. Just buy a standard tank, even a second hand one off e-bay would do, and some glass and silicon and a few hours of your time.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Sorry David, can't help much with the tank. It's been many years since I bought mine - I can't afford to buy a new tank every year like these young, single guys :D.

Just to get an idea give Dave or Ernie at Reeflections in Moorabbin a call - they are pretty good to deal with.

Matt Green - why are you suggesting 12mm glass. This will add to the price, and the weight, and 10mm has been fine for my tank.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Just sent an email to Reeflections to see what they can come up. I'll keep asking quotes for the sump as well in case someone makes it appealing.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Let us know how you get on David. Have you thought about second hand setup?
I figure right now is a good time to buy a good display tank - at least if it's new, the seals should last for longer, and I shouldn't have the usual marks that come with age. If I cut corners on that, I'm gonna find more things that irritate me later. Cost doesn't bother me on the display tank as long as it's competitive.

Probably not much else will be new initially. Really only wanted to consider new glass work, then go secondhand for the rest of the setup, then start replacing stuff with new over time as I can afford them.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Good plan - I bought my first 4x2x2 second hand and replaced it with a new one after 2 years.
Take the time now to plan the tank like you want it - put up some diagrams if you want some input. It is amazing sometimes what other people see that you have completely overlooked :D

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Heh - i'm likely to be impatient, and I can't aquascape worth a damn. My theory is get the tank and sump.. build a nice simple cabinet for it, get a decent return pump, a secondhand skimmer, get a bit of live rock, a heap of base rock, and get the tank wet. Then while it cycles and does its thing I'll worry about tweaking things.