Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
5 Days Post Hatch - no deaths in the past 24 hours :)

Very evident now that some of the larvae are developing quicker than others - some don't look much bigger than hatch day whilst some have grown quite a bit and are getting darker,

Completed the first water change today - about 1 litre out and 2 litres put back in.

Clownfish-496.jpg

Nice fat tummy :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Looking good!
Glad to hear it's going well. :)
So far anyway :)

These close up shots are so awesome.
Thanks

Loving it!
:)

So, I am now at 6DPH - another 3l removed and 5l added tonight.

I also added a few NHBBS tonight - 10 or so as a starter.

Question - the tank is still teeming with rotifers so why would the larvae think about eating the BBS? Are they old enough to start actively hunting something bigger? Should I be reducing the density of the rotifers to encourage them to eat the more nutritious BBS?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
For those that don't know, clownfish go through a metamorphosis where their body transforms from a larvae to a juvenile. This is a stressful time for the larvae and is often the time when large numbers of deaths occur.

One of the first signs is the change to the tail waggle style of swimming that is common with clownfish followed closely by body colouration including the white banding.

That is why I was pretty excited to see some of the larvae swimming like this tonight.

:)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
That's awesome mate!! :D can't wait to keep watching them grow :) are you going to sell them or keep them once they mature to the right age?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks @Wrangy :)

I stuffed up the transfer of the tile and lost the majority of the larvae on this occasion - in hindsight this was probably a good thing as I have started to run short of nanno :rolleyes

At this stage it looks like I have around 45 larvae/juviniles but I could still loose some of these as they move through met - any that don't develop properly will also need culling.

I plan on keeping some but will try to sell some locally if possible.

I may consider shipping some in the future if there is sufficient demand.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
45 at this stage still isn't a bad number :) a least there was a silver lining to the mishap :rolleyes hopefully not too many need to be culled and you end up with a healthy stock

Sounds like a plan, will you continue breeding with the stock you keep?

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Now that's what I call dedication, have they all been named yet :rolleyes lol
Is it only the one breeding pair of clowns you have or have you got more than one?

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Are you going to raise this lot or just focus on the first batch for now?

My 8 y.o. checks out this thread with me every night now to see if there's new pictures if the babies!