Tank Journal Archive

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Syringe Pump For Carbon Dosing
Have not been achieving much in the way of progress with the aquarium over the last 2-3 months however been working on getting a 3dprinter assembled/calibrated and the first project planned and underway. Waited ages for the ebay parts for this in terms of stepper motors and small driver boards.

This project is a syringe pump where you can load two x 30ml syringes and via a small stepper motor mounted inside the unit it will dispense (in my case No3Pox) into the tank over a two week period. Granted you can use a peristaltic pump however the fact the alcohol can evaporate off makes a syringe pump a great choice.

Why:
After dosing Redsea No3Pox for the last 6 months my nitrates are very much under control so want to continue with this regime. Although at the moment I am not too consistent on when I dose and will forget quite often. So the plan is to try and get consistency/stability and to also try and dose smaller amounts over the day. this will also allow me to fine tune the dose over the coming months to achieve an optimal amount for both $$ and Nitrate levels.

Design:
What the pic does not show is the threaded shaft, stepper or plunger plate which slowly winds the syringes in. I have printed the first prototype last weekend and all going well will print the final product and complete the first unit. the trouble with being able to design something you are never satisfied always able to tweak some element of the design. I gotta stop and commit a final design.

Control:
In my case it has a small arduino controlling the stepper motor. I did buy a screen and buttons however have now decided to control this direct from my profilux. All I have to do is program the arduino to dispense 1ml every 15 seconds whilst powered, thats about 2 rpm of the motor. That way the profilux can simply power it (12VDC) and within the profilux program you tell it ml per minute of the pump and how much per day to dose (ml) and how many doses to split. So in my case I dose around 3 ~4 mls a day so will split this in 2 doses of 2 mls each. That means the profilux will turn it on twice a day for ~30 seconds

I'll take a pic of the real thing soon however here is the model as it stands now

syringepmpr1.jpg

Last edited:

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Wow, Rob - that's AWESOME!!
Is it hard to build a 3D printer?
I need one.
For things relevent to my interests :D
Can't wait to see your finished product in action.

lorby

Nov 26, 2012
That looks very cool! Being able to dose with that much precision would be awesome, it's one reason why I never purchased any dosing pumps when I was using nopox, fear of even a small overdose could be catastrophic on a nano tank. make sure to keep us updated with further development!!!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Amazing work - keep us updated!!!

P.S. What software is that your using for the image of the pre-print model?

Last edited:

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
The reefuge and I were looking at building something similar a few years back. The applications for were this can shine is well beyond nophox.

I would be looking at it for zeo products where you want to dose 1-2 drops per day.

If you are interested, drop us a line in the chat box when you are online and I can pass on where we got up to.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I gave zeo away at Christmas time, however if I was still dosing I would be building a unit which dosed them all :)

Not jumping the gun too much however more excited about a "chilled" syringe pump for FOOD. If I could get a large enough syringe I could enclose the body of the syringe in a separate case and install a small peltier cooler. http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v1/136834858_1/_font_b_Peltier_b_font_font.jpg

Would be very easy to control the temperature of the case around the syringe body.

Last edited:

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
It would not be hard to do a syringe body out of titanium, there is alot of offcuts floating around ebay.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Biggest syringe (already made ) at a reasonable price is 200 ml, used for automotive on ebay. I had issues with trying to keep the unit small so opted to drive two syringes in parrallel. this also assisted in the drive mechanism and not have to have any guide plate on the plunger as it equal pressure on both sides of the plunger plate.

Doing the final print now of the body (its a 3hr print) so will try and post up a pic of the completed unit over the weekend.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
We were playing around with doing a threaded plunger shaft with a nut at rear of the plunger body as the plate, the pitch of the thread will control the movement per revolution very accurately ie a fine m5 thread and a .5mm pitch (.5mm per revolution)

Last edited:

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
OK, found the prototype unit I have been testing the stepper motor and functions on, this one is slightly bigger than the final one I am printing right now as this unit has room for a small screen ontop. (8x2 LCD) It takes 2 x 30ml syringes. the plunger plate actually has holes through the back so I can print a filler and reduce the size of the syringe. the driver board is installed, the other side is designed for a realtimeclock or a mini arduino

photo 3.JPG

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
man 3d printers give you a sexy result.

Stupid question but have you had a play with what nophox does to the rubber on the syringes? I remember it used to chew out the rubber dosing lines and you had to use silicon and even then it would pickle it over time.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Good point hope they survive, been using a syringe for the last 6 months to dose No3Pox and just had a good look, it seems OK, however its not in contact 24/7. Guess Ill find out !

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Come in this morning to a package on the desk, at last the arudino mini has arrived from China, 3 1/2 weeks.... it was only the USB/Serial converter they had forgot to include the arduino mini. Dam Im never going to finish this bloody thing. Have ordered from a Sydney supplier so hopefully end of the week it will be completed and running.