Tank Journal Archive

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Sven's 4'8" x 2' x 2'6"
After having contemplated this on and off over the years I have finally bitten the bullet and started on a marine setup.

35 years ago I got a custom made tank for my freshwater fish and first job at age 12 was cleaning the inside of new tanks for the local manufacturer in Hornsby, of which every cent went straight back to the LFS!

This will take a bit of time as I am setting everything up with used equipment.

It’s a very good time to thank everyone for all their help, particularly Nick and Frankie who have tolerated all my calls and emails....thanks again guys.

System Objectives:
Aim is to have a fantastically aquascaped tank and provide a natural healthy environment for fish, invertebrates and corals.

System Type:
To be honest, don't know how to describe what I want technically

Display System:

Strike up Date:
TBA

Display Tank:
Used 140 x 60 x 75 (l w h)
630 litres

Display Lighting:
Aqua Medic Sunlight NG 2 x 250w MH + 4 x T5 + moonlights
Bulbs TBA

Am planning for a shadow box light at the rear so tank resembles a swim through in the reef

Stand:
Steel frame clad MDF

Hood:
No hood - floating light

Sump:
Dimension 80 x 50 x 40 ( l w h)
160litres
Standard 3 sections -- skimmer / refug / return

Refugium:
10cm sand bed / macro algae / live rock

Refugium Lighting:
Power compacts

Support systems:

System Water:
Natural Sea Water

Display Water circulation:
2 x Vortech MP40’s

Return Pump:
Eheim 1262

Skimmer:
Aqua Medic Turboflotor Multi SL

Evaporation Top Up:
TBA
PSI-020B-DI-GM 4 stage RO/DI unit for supply

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition:
2 part eventually

Other Chemical Maintenance:
TBA

Current Water Chemistry:
pH:
Nitrite:
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesuim:

I have to thank Rodney for letting me use images from his tank and stand

Hopefully I can do his old tank some justice and have it looking as great as his

tank-design-1.jpg
tankdesign3.jpg
sumpA4050.jpg

The start:
Day 1
Thanks to Frankie I have sand and LR but tank still a few weeks away and I didn’t want to miss the opportunity, thanks Frankie.

Ended up in the dark and rain picking up NSW at the boat ramp and a kids wading pool to get me through the night.

You can see it was all quite late but wanted to minimise any die off only managed to get heater and circulation pump going

Day1.jpg

Day 2
I couldn’t keep things like last night so got myself a 250 litre garden pond, picked up the skimmer and light and now have a more permanent (temporary) set up.

My wife now refers to my pet rocks....

Day2.jpg

Day 4 and onward
I can’t believe the life I am seeing after, snail eggs, pods, small urchins, bristle worms and stuff too small to identify.....have to add have now seen part sighting of some kind of shrimp....can't see enough to identify it, and also a tiny blue starfish....really amazing to see all the life.

I love the skimmer it keeps the water crystal clear and very easy to adjust

Have ordered test kist so hope these arrive soon so I can test the water. Want to start trying to work out the regime for maintenance as will make things much easier than learning with the tank....figure I’ll have enough on my hands.

Anyway still collecting all the bits and pieces I need so could be a few weeks away before I post more.

Fish Wish List:

• Indian blenny (edited and have him now)
  • Pair of Barrier reef clowns (akindynos) have them now
  • Pair of yellow watchman gobies with a pistol shrimp if I can
  • Pair of CBS (edited)
  • Zebra moray eel
  • Anthia Cooperi, Lyre tail or Bi-colour 7 or 9 of them
  • if there's room
  • Bi colour angel fish
And 65kg of LR
Once the tank gets established I would love 2 x Green Red Mandarin Dragonets but not enough life for them and the gobies...maybe one of each as hard to find pair of either...I love watching the gobies "work" but love the look of the Mandarin Dragonets. Both will be lots of work but worth the effort....I think.

This is only a wish list and as you can see lots to decide still.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
No turning back now Sven.

Look forward to following the setup through your TJ.

Make sure you take lots of pictures - it is easy to forget once you get started ;)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Hey Sven :welcome
I have a Pair of anthias in my tank, i have squamis (lyre tails)
they are great fish, mine arnt picky with food at all although most people seem to loose them from not feeding them enough.
Anthias need to be feed multiple times a day. so rather then one or two larger feeds. 6 smaller feeds over the day will help sustain them. definitely one of my faverite fish tho if i could fit more i would.
it is also recomened to have larger groups and picking ones out that are currently eatings to maximise your chance of survival. reefsecrets usualy has a nice variety of anthias so maybe give him a call.
also in your write up i think you mean vortech MP40, as they come in mp10, mp20 mp40 mp60. goodluck!

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
I have in my tank journal the fish wish list and I think all the anthias look great but choice is either Lyre Tail, Bi Colour or Cooperi....really want whichever would swim best as a school

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Just amended my fish list....learning all the time...

The live rock is going great guns...now have a few small starfish (tiny blue ones) and lots of little bits and pieces moving around

Water chemistry is going great guns.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
show us a picture of the starfish, there is a breed of starfish that can nibble on coral

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Still waiting on my tank but have had QT up and going for three weeks now, tank on 27 August so will start looking for a couple of fish so can quarantine them and move them straight into the tank when it's ready.

If you go to www.thereefuge.com/threads/shadow-box-light.351 you can see where I'm up to with my shadow box....basically all sorted (have a prototype made) just need to work out lighting side of it then I can get the box fabricated.

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Still have my set up in a pond...tank arrives 27 August.

Have bought two strombs as the sand staring to get dirty and think they look great.

Also finally found a pair of Barrier Reef Clowns (Akindynos) which arrive Friday so can put them in QT until I'm ready...at least I won't have to wait any longer. once tank is right

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Well finally I got my tank last weekend...spent a while disconnecting it with the previous owner..I wanted to break the set up down as much as I could, still weighed a ton and the stand was super heavy. That was the easy bit (as I found out later) one of the guys from work gave me a hand and we got it back to my place but my ideas of a quick set up were shot to pieces
1. Tank was a mess and needed a huge clean
2. No one to help lift
3. Wanted to stay married so put things off a few days

As it was I spent most of the weekend on the front lawn, hose in hand, numerous trips to Bunnings for more blades and a sore elbow...pics soon, but transformed a messy tank and sump into a beauty!!..except for the bubble trap, just can't get to it.

Anyway that was the weekend then to get it upstairs...so call the young guys from work Monday afternoon and just managed to get the whole thing upstairs (19 of them) and back still feeling it....didn't have the heart to get them to wait around so had to get a neighbour to help lift tank onto stand the next evening.

So Tuesday night carried 500 litres upstairs, yes that's half a tonne of water....so tank in position, plumbing half connected but ran out of energy...main thing get the water heated.

Take two Wednesday night..yes tonight...finished plumbing, moved 60kg of LR upstairs plus sand plus another 400 litres (some spare) so nearly a tonne in two days...and yes back stuffed.

BUT!!! Tank all set up...no leaks....looks great.....very happy, having a red wine watching the water.

Pics tomorrow

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
So I have basically done a tank transfer and am expecting a mini cycle.....how long do they go for?

When I initially set up my LR that I got from another reeferI barely even registered an ammonia spike if at all....and Nitrates have only ever been as high as 10 at worst.....that was mainly due to me not doing a water change.

Hoping to transfer fish on the weekend...thoughts?

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
The tank I started with

IMG_0595.jpg

and the sump

IMG_0597.jpg

and the tank today 24 hours after setup

IMG_0619.JPG

with sump up and running

IMG_0622.JPG

All nice and clean

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Great work Sven - excellent job on cleaning up the tank :D
Your skimmer looks familiar;)Any reason why you have it lifted up - I don't think I have ever seen any recommendations on water depth for that skimmer.
You will only get a further cycle if the bacteria in the rock can't deal with the level of ammonia being generated - if you have little die off then you will not suffer much of a cycle.

Personally, I wouldn't be in any hurray to add your fish.

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Yes I am impatient.....will see how water tests go.

I kept the Aqua Medic Turboflotor up so the discharges were over the water...when they were underwater the skimmer tried to float...why you think it's OK to discharge below surface level and hold skimmer down?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I understand now - my sump is not as deep as yours and the outlet is above the water level with the skimmer sitting on the bottom.

You have waited this long so another week or two to get all your fish in will not kill you - how many fish do you have in the QT?