Reef Discussion

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
OK well got the dosing right, I am keeping it from dropping at all (KH and Calcium).. So from here I am slowly going to bring it up, still only around 6.5dkh but ph seems stable.. Will get it up over next few weeks, don't want to push it.. Once where I want it I will start working on Magnesium..

Elegance coral is opening up again fine since yesterday morning and seems no worse for wear at all, the orange fugia still glows, but won't open up again, yet...

I think I know what contributed to the problem, I put a phosphate reactor on with rowaphos (correctly cleaned so no iron mist). I originally expected my rather high phosphates was from the live rock, I think now it wasn't it was the NSW from the LFS (which at the start I didn't even thing of testing).. The reason I say that is the turnaround was so sudden, from huge levels to not being able to detect it at all anymore. I have read it is possible that sudden swing could have shocked the corals a bit? along with my dropping dkh which as I said got to 6, though my NSW is only around 8..

Sucks really as the NSW I had been getting had a salinity of 1.030 but lowish dkh, which means I would have to water it down with RO but then deal with the KH before adding, I guess that is a point in favor of using ASW?

Anyway on the improve, 0 phosphate (need a low range test kit), KH stable and slowly on the way up, PH is still holding between from 8.1 to 8.3 (morning to evening), salinity stable at 1.026, temp at 26c.. Ammonia, nitrites and even nitrates still all at 0. (purigen works well in saltwater too it seems)..
i think i remember reading somewhere that rowa can lower kh and ph.

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
i think i remember reading somewhere that rowa can lower kh and ph.
yeah I heard that too but KH was low anyway (as NSW was low) didn't seem to drop that much faster... Anyway all stable now and slowly increasing my KH, up to about 7.5dkh now, the Elegance coral has recovered and OK but the fugia just won't recover?