Off-Topic

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Awesome, have you seen Hendrix playing at woodstock, with his 'teeth' ...?
I watched woodstock when i was in high school.. the video quality was crap, but it was cool.
I've seen him do crazier things. Hendrix music reminds me of being a teenager. Was funny, I lived in a town with 200 people, and I had one real enemy as a kid. The day he heard I'd bought a bass, he rocked up on my door step with a les paul copy guitar and a tape player with the heads wired to a lead to use as an amp. We had some interesting times after that, but he was the one that got me on to Hendrix. His playing had this natural Hendrix-esque feel, and he was brilliant as a kid. We did some crazy shit in a town where there was nothing to do. We were allowed into the local pub at 13 so we could jam out the back. Local copper didn't care - he was usually in the bar, so if we were out the back he knew where we were.

Melissa

Aug 4, 2011
I watched woodstock when i was in high school.. the video quality was crap, but it was cool.
I've seen him do crazier things. Hendrix music reminds me of being a teenager. Was funny, I lived in a town with 200 people, and I had one real enemy as a kid. The day he heard I'd bought a bass, he rocked up on my door step with a les paul copy guitar and a tape player with the heads wired to a lead to use as an amp. We had some interesting times after that, but he was the one that got me on to Hendrix. His playing had this natural Hendrix-esque feel, and he was brilliant as a kid. We did some crazy shit in a town where there was nothing to do. We were allowed into the local pub at 13 so we could jam out the back. Local copper didn't care - he was usually in the bar, so if we were out the back he knew where we were.
That's awesome David. I had a Hendrix poster above my bed when I was 16 and would admire it before I fell asleep each night. I still adore listening to his music

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
That's awesome David. I had a Hendrix poster above my bed when I was 16 and would admire it before I fell asleep each night. I still adore listening to his music
Yeah - it's like that. My music tastes haven't changed much since my teens. There were generations of music I went through. I remember when I was 17 I couldn't sleep without The Doors playing. Different groups of friends sort of added new musical interests. I had two nicknames as a teen - Slash and Hendrix. I had long ass curly hair and wore permanently tinted glasses for a few years (and was a big GN'R fan). People I disliked called me Slash and my actual friends called me Hendrix (not worthy, but at least I could tell people a part when I heard it yelled out).

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
Sounds fair. I've been a Skyhooks and John English fan for 32 years. Don't tell anyone, just blame my damn closet hippy parents.
I was raised on a steady diet of Alan Parsons Project, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Elton John, David Bowie, T-Rex, and Queen. Suffice to say, my parents kind of liked the British... :confused:

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Christ will you old croons shut up with your crap music lol jokes ! how bout some technoboy foreign beggars bloody beetroots cyberpunkers belzebass Tek-one danger toxic avenger ! Anyone in her know any of these names ?

Melissa

Aug 4, 2011
I have not a clue, but I DO however, have ears for the listening of ... I think this qualifies me.

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
All those with classical training and studio recording experience raise their hands and say, "I"? Thought so...

For what it's worth, if you need a name like any of those to engage people... there's a good chance your music is absolutely shithouse :D

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
The only ones that play "instruments" are danger (plays a baby grand as part of his live dj show) and the bloody beetroots.....the mastermind behind them is bob Rifo who is classily trained in many different instruments.... Although 85% of his music is electro if you listen to their albums all the way thru there are lots of classical interludes which rifo writes and performs himself...... So NER :-p

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
The only ones that play "instruments" are danger (plays a baby grand as part of his live dj show) and the bloody beetroots.....the mastermind behind them is bob Rifo who is classily trained in many different instruments.... Although 85% of his music is electro if you listen to their albums all the way thru there are lots of classical interludes which rifo writes and performs himself...... So NER :-p
But it's electro, and electro equals shit, so NER!

Music needs strings and percussive instruments. Maybe some wind instruments too. Things that in 20 years from now, people will still listen to.

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
That being said do not get me wrong I was only trying to stir some shit :-) I listen to pretty much anything except 80s pop what they try and pass off as rnb these days and country music ! If it hard fast and loud ill probably love it :-D

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
Music needs instruments.. not sound bytes. Requires people that can sing and not need auto tune. Needs talented people to write it and to play it. It needs to have more than 5 (different) words in it.. something that is seriously lacking these days.
Whilst I wouldn't disagree entirely with your point, I will say that there is a lot of work that goes into making electronic music. Sampling and so forth is a lot of the time actually more difficult to make sound cohesive than it is to physically play something manually... and I say this coming from a background where I've done both pretty extensively (classically trained Pianist, play guitar/bass/most anything with strings, used to drum but am shit at it now).

That being said, there's terribleness in every facet of the modern musical world. It's harder to find quality music... but there definitely is quality music out there to be had if you've got your ears pricked up and your senses on at the right time.