Off-Topic

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
occupation
what does everyone do for a day job?
what would you want to see yourself doing?

Me? im a 21 yr old IT Tech and love it. the difficulty keeps me interested and the constant flow of different problems keeps me thinking!.

love to hear what everyone else does?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
31 year old IT Tech in a University environment. Not terribly difficult, just typically a lot of problems that need to be dealt with quickly. A lot of competing priorities, processes and often a fast pace whilst needing to retain a ludicrous amount of constantly changing information. I'm also the sole computer tech for the campus I work at.
Was also a store tech/salesperson/floor manager of a Harvey Norman computers franchise for a few years - paid marginally better than any private enterprise tech jobs I've had.

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
25, Water Operations trainee.. Want to become a Water Treatment Operator for either council or a mining company (fingers crossed for mining!) The majority of my work life has revolved around water and water filtration, from building and selling customised system from aquarium size to 50 tonne aquaculture systems, to maintaining livestock systems with several hundred fish in each system. My first job was a solar water heater installer/batt installer.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
62, Web designer. Started out as a printer/graphic designer. Became a chef and had a few restaurants in Cairns. Lived in Canada for 9 years. Became a web master for Queensland Health. Retired and now work from home with my own web design business. And I'm now sinking all my spare change into a cubic foot of water!!!

rusty1

Jul 21, 2011
Gold Coast QLD
I am in sales. We offer low cost solutions to Australian manufacturers while helping improve their supply demands and cash flows.

I service 29 industries with over 27000 product lines.

I know a lot about nothing!

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
28yo Plumber by trade but I work in an office as a co-ordinator, scheduling work and organising ~20 plumbers.... its almost like childcare!

I want to get my plumbing contractors/supervisor ticket and work as a site foreman or supervisor so I can get paid a bit better than driving a desk all day!

what would you want to see yourself doing?

I really don't know.... :(
Turning 28 in Jan. Office assistant for now.
I went to medical school forced by parents, hate it!
Living outside of my country right now, try to save money for my edu, for something I really love; but after 10years learning medical stuff, I kinda think that it'd be a huge waste of all the efforts and money. Kinda thinking become a physical therapist, doubt I'm that kinda material. Worried about being too old to start learning art. Struggling....

BTW, I'm new here, hello everyone!
Nice to be around! :)

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
:welcome SantaMonicaHelp,

Me- Just hit 43, worked in the tyre industry for 20 something years with the same company, onto my third store as manager & looking for something different now.

Jen- In the 34 range, made redundant a few months ago, was in the sales game for a safety company.

MavG

Nov 8, 2011
Newcastle
26 years old, Aquarium Store Manager. Worked designing Aquaculture and Aquarium filtration systems (and the rest fo the work that goes along with it, diagnosing problems, selling other products) for 5 years before that.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Lol, I answered the question dude :p

Okay, a maintenance fitter is kind of like a mechanic for machinery in general. Need to know things as part of the job are hydraulics and pneumatics, basic electrical work. Arc, Mig, Tig welding, oxy cutting, etc. Understanding of machinery and moving parts. Machine design and modification. General machining (lathe, mill, etc). Plumbing (gas, air, water, etc).

That is the best I can do to explain it. If you get like an electrician, a plumber, a mechanic, a boiler maker, and an engineer and put them in one person, you get a maintenance fitter. Though, people in their respected fields would be better than a maintenance fitter at their job. I would not say I am a good of a welder as a boiler maker, but I can make welds to a safe standard.
I have fixed what many a maintenance fitter has repaired! I used to work in a lot of wineries and those guys did some dodgy shit! Having said that I cant weld to save my life... let alone machining :(

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I have fixed what many a maintenance fitter has repaired! I used to work in a lot of wineries and those guys did some dodgy shit! Having said that I cant weld to save my life... let alone machining :(
This is true. Most maintenance fitters get bullshit training and after 4 years come out with no idea on what they are doing. I am not talking myself up here, but I get pissed off with contractors all the time.

I was VERY lucky. The place I did my apprenticeship at (and worked for a year or so after), though it was a bastard of a place, and the owners were racist pieces of shit, it was fantastic to learn in. They had many different machines, a great maintenance team, and a lot of different jobs. I learned plumbing, welding, some electrical work, robots, line logic, hydraulics, pneumatics, machine design and modification, automation, some CNC stuff, gravity casting, high pressure casting, sand core making, and pretty much anything else you can think of. I even did concreting at some point.

Most places are small joints and you are helping one person. We had 20 people on the team. Soooo many things to learn. Having said that, my machining is not really anything great. I can't remember how to cur threads on a lathe either, so that was a waste of time.

I would suggest this apprenticeship to people. Because if you want, you get credit for other fields. I think last time I checked I only need to do a 2 year apprenticeship to become a qualified plumber.

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
No need to duck for cover - tell us a bit more about what you do...
Actually now called DAFF Bio-security. Name Change. (Except the uniforms still say AQIS, typical) Basically making sure all importers are doing the right the thing. And I must say most people actually do the right thing.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I'm a qualified toolmaker that has never done a day of toolmaking in my life. I headed moeso down the CNC machining route. Currently have my own CNC machining center and do what ever wok heads my way. I have made stuff ranging from press tool and injection moulding build ups through to custom engine cradles for WW2 fighter planes