Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
The best thing to do is not react and start mucking around with things.
I will look at your tank journal and get back.
thanks, Just noticed my beautiful big elegance is breaking away off its shell, some thing is wrong in my tank
IMG_1995.jpg

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Thank you for your reply.
Please remove your chemi pure.
Continue with nopox.
Refrain from dosing reef builder and let your alk drop naturally.

What do you use for salt water NSW or artificial?
Ok, will do,I make up ro water, and use red sea coral pro, I don't know if i have a tank journal, I know as much about computers as i do Marine tanks...trying.......how do i do one?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Ok, will do,I make up ro water, and use red sea coral pro, I don't know if i have a tank journal, I know as much about computers as i do Marine tanks...trying.......how do i do one?
Thanks for the info.
I used coral pro salt with great success for a couple of years. Nothing wrong with the salt . I would recommend changing to Red Sea Blue bucket in the future. This mixes at alkalinity of 7dkh compared to Coral pro of 11dkh .
My opinion is based on my experience, running a bacteria driven system like you are with nopox your alk is recommended to be in the range of 6.5 to 8 dkh alkalinity.
I ran my tank within that range and did water changes with coral pro salt , it did not affect the alkalinity too much at a ten to twenty percent water change a week.
Furthermore as a beginner I certainly learnt the hard way by watching my coral loose flesh. I put the flesh loss to high alkalinity at the time in conjunction with phosphate absorption polymer media. These polymers IMO are just too efficient at stripping the water of nutrients.
Bacteria driven systems never recommend the use of phos absorb media as the two combined are too efficient.
You are on the right track with Nopox.
Just need alk to come down to 9 in the next 3 weeks and there after shoot for 8 which could be managed with coral pro.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Go to journals
Go to the best place for your journal
Say Reef tanks
At the top you will see , Create tank journal. Click on there and away you go.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Thanks for the info.
I used coral pro salt with great success for a couple of years. Nothing wrong with the salt . I would recommend changing to Red Sea Blue bucket in the future. This mixes at alkalinity of 7dkh compared to Coral pro of 11dkh .
My opinion is based on my experience, running a bacteria driven system like you are with nopox your alk is recommended to be in the range of 6.5 to 8 dkh alkalinity.
I ran my tank within that range and did water changes with coral pro salt , it did not affect the alkalinity too much at a ten to twenty percent water change a week.
Furthermore as a beginner I certainly learnt the hard way by watching my coral loose flesh. I put the flesh loss to high alkalinity at the time in conjunction with phosphate absorption polymer media. These polymers IMO are just too efficient at stripping the water of nutrients.
Bacteria driven systems never recommend the use of phos absorb media as the two combined are too efficient.
You are on the right track with Nopox.
Just need alk to come down to 9 in the next 3 weeks and there after shoot for 8 which could be managed with coral pro.
thanks for your help, have removed the chemo-pure elite, so do not use any of this type of thing?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
thanks for your help, have removed the chemo-pure elite, so do not use any of this type of thing?
Depending on how big your tank is will determine how much activated charcoal to use, from memory I would say your tank needs a cup run passively in a mesh bag in the sump. This is standard recommended practice for a bacteria driven system.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Depending on how big your tank is will determine how much activated charcoal to use, from memory I would say your tank needs a cup run passively in a mesh bag in the sump. This is standard recommended practice for a bacteria driven system.
400lts is the chemo-pure a carbon or not, or should i get another type of carbon, sorry to be so thick

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Bacteria driven systems do not recommend the use of GFO as listed in ingredients of chemi pure.
You need to choose a methodology either bacteria or chemical.
Lesley runs GFO successfully in fact extremely well.
I run bacteria at close to natural sea water parameters.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Bacteria driven systems do not recommend the use of GFO as listed in ingredients of chemi pure.
You need to choose a methodology either bacteria or chemical.
Lesley runs GFO successfully in fact extremely well.
I run bacteria at close to natural sea water parameters.
can you please recommend a brand i am so sick of making mistakes

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Getting your activated carbon right is very important in a reef aquarium,
Having one that is too powerful or dosed incorrect can lead to problems such a tissue necrosis, colour loss in coral or hole in the head in fish.
I don't know if you used too much or too little as diagnosis is hard without a tank journal.

I can't recommend a brand , but I like the shape as pictured earlier compared to this type below. I use the one below in case of emergency.
image.jpg

Activated charcoal is a complete topic on its own , some are manufactured with coconut shell others from literally the coal face itself. They are all good at making dirt particles stick to them as claimed. They all go through vastly different methods to process the product.
Perhaps ask our members what they use I would be keen to find out too.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Getting your activated carbon right is very important in a reef aquarium,
Having one that is too powerful or dosed incorrect can lead to problems such a tissue necrosis, colour loss in coral or hole in the head in fish.
I don't know if you used too much or too little as diagnosis is hard without a tank journal.

I can't recommend a brand , but I like the shape as pictured earlier compared to this type below. I use the one below in case of emergency.View attachment 54070

Activated charcoal is a complete topic on its own , some are manufactured with coconut shell others from literally the coal face itself. They are all good at making dirt particles stick to them as claimed. They all go through vastly different methods to process the product.
Perhaps ask our members what they use I would be keen to find out too.
I am sorry if this is a stupid question but is there a difference between alkalinity and kh?