Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Montipora
IMG_2278.jpg
Yet another problem guys, my coral has all of a sudden of a couple of white patches on him?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
View attachment 54026 Yet another problem guys, my coral has all of a sudden of a couple of white patches on him?
Generally speaking caused due to swings in any of the following Temperature, Alkalinity , Salinity .

Further but unlikely as suspect the above, red bugs , acro eating flat worms , monti eating nudibranch, shift in lighting spectrum.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Generally speaking caused due to swings in any of the following Temperature, Alkalinity , Salinity .

Further but unlikely as suspect the above, red bugs , acro eating flat worms , monti eating nudibranch, shift in lighting spectrum.
thanks i have only had him a few weeks, and i have put him up high, would the light be 2 strong or no strong enough , salinity temp and alk all stable

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
under razor 1600 LED
Usually it takes a couple of weeks for SPS to wake up from shipping and start growing.
Acclimation to LED should be done with care as its a strong point source of lighting. When I got my first Monti I fried it under my led thinking it best for such species.
The reality is most coral are able to function for months without the high intensity lighting we wish upon them.
I don't like moving SPS around as it does nothing to promote growth. However it might be better to move your Monti to deeper water due to the intensity of LED.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Are your LED's adjustable?

If so, you could reduce the light intensity by, say, 30% and then gradually increase it over a few weeks. That way, your coral can stay where it is and doesn't have to get used to changing flow patterns etc

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Are your LED's adjustable?

If so, you could reduce the light intensity by, say, 30% and then gradually increase it over a few weeks. That way, your coral can stay where it is and doesn't have to get used to changing flow patterns etc
On the white channel ? Or all channels?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Is your Alkalinity always that high?

At 11 it is at the high end of the normally acceptable range - what test do you use for alk?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
The best thing to do is not react and start mucking around with things.
I will look at your tank journal and get back.