Reef Discussion

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
So while we're talking about driver verses LED. The Violet UV 'kit' that I use has 4 x 3w LEDs run by a Meanwell non-dimming LPC-35-700 driver.
I would presume that these would now be OK to run off one of the LDD 600 drivers. (to keep it under max).
My blues and whites are all XP-E's and XP-G's and I would put them on LDD 700's (seeing as how they are only currently turned up to 650).
Is this correct?

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Sounds good @daveH,

Whites & Blues will be fine on a LDD700, they will be a little brighter as you run yours at 650mA, but I doubt you'd be able to pick it.
Because our tank is 2.5 deep, that is why we are looking for the LDD-1000H. Our ELN drivers are set to 800mA now so would rather go up then down on the whites & Royals. :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@daveH most violets/UV have much lower maximum current restrictions than other colours - I wouldn't use more than 500mA, and 350mA is probably better. They tend to burnout at higher currents - the lens discolours first.

Not sure what led's your have but from ledgroupbuy "Max Drive Current: 500mA"

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
That sounds good - I'll go 350 on the violets.
The blues and whites are 3w Crees from RapidLED, which I'm pretty sure sure were rated at 1000mA.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The power supply depends entirely on the number of leds driven off each LDD, and the current required.

I will do up a spreadsheet later - my cheap DS1307 RTC is wasting my time this afternoon :mad:

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Have you found if there are suitable units available in Oz at a fair price?
Haven't looked yet - I will persevere a bit longer.

Edit - reading this again in the cool light of day :) This question from @daveH, and my response, I thought related to another thread, but I was wrong :p

In relation to the power supplies I have purchased one from China, but I haven't done any real testing with it yet. The 'calculator' should be done today so we can then see what specifications are required.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Hey Shane, the sealed (no fans, no where for moisture to get in, etc) Meanwell driver (48v, 230W) set me back $100. Plug is a standard computer type that we all have lying around. No live 240v exposed.

Not sure if this is what you had in mind (just need to be mindful of the terminating plug.

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
Hey Shane, the sealed (no fans, no where for moisture to get in, etc) Meanwell driver (48v, 230W) set me back $100. Plug is a standard computer type that we all have lying around. No live 240v exposed.

Not sure if this is what you had in mind (just need to be mindful of the terminating plug.
pic or link please?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The calculator to determine the power supply specifications for LDD drivers has been completed :)

Example screenshot

LDD Calc.JPG

Instructions:
  • in the first column, select the type of LDD from the drop down list - options are 300, 350, 500, 600, 700 and 1000mA versions. Use one line for each LDD to be connected to the power supply.
  • in the second column, enter the numbers of led's to be connected to each LDD.
  • in the third column, enter the forward voltage of each led. A default of 3.5v is built into the calculator and will be acceptable for the majority of members.
In the example above (from @macca_75 current build) the required minimum specifications are 45 volts, 4.15 Amps and 122 Watts. He subsequently purchased a Meanwell GS220A48-R7B which is rated for 48 volts, 4.6 Amps and 220 Watts which exceeds all of the required specifications by a reasonable margin. You should always size power supplies slightly higher than required to limit the supply working at its limit all of the time.

Please note that the LDD drivers will output from 2v to 52v, depending on the power supply - in theory this means that you can operate 1 led off a 48v power supply. I say in theory, as this is not something you necessarily want to do for 2 reasons:
  • the excess voltage needs to go somewhere - in this case it will be converted to heat which will need to be dealt with somehow. I plan on running a test on the weekend to see just how much heat is generated.
  • the efficiency of the driver is reduced considerably as shown by the following graph taken from the driver specifications
LDD Specs.JPG

You probably don't want to be running less than 4 or 5 off a 48v supply. Thus, as with any type of constant current driver, you need to match the power supply to the number of leds to achieve the greatest efficiency.

One final note in relation to power supplies. There is an inverse relationship between the volts and amps of a PS - to achieve higher volts AND higher amps requires a larger supply, which could be more expensive. It may be possible to use some old laptop power supplies i.e. 18v or 24v just by increasing the number of LDD's and reducing the number of led's on each string. The best bet is to have a play around with the calculator to see what works best.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Kinda scary I think, wish we had this when we first started the DIY lol. :)
Now we want to add more colours to the mix!
This is 12x 1000mA & 4x 700ma LDD @3.4fv, 13 LED's per string.

Minimum Power Supply Specification

Volts 47
Amps 14.8
Watts 654

Total number of LED's 208