Reef Discussion

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
no they were shipped pre glued, I just followed instructions screwing the bulkheads together with some silicone around the gaskets (as per his suggestion)...

alan

Jan 26, 2012
Hobart
if you are in a pinch, you can seal a pipe with reef putty. It will dry underwater, so will make a good patch up job until you sort it out. I havent gluded in any of my overflow pipes, they are right above the sump, but all have a nice tight fit, so dont real anyway.

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
]
if you are in a pinch, you can seal a pipe with reef putty. It will dry underwater, so will make a good patch up job until you sort it out. I havent gluded in any of my overflow pipes, they are right above the sump, but all have a nice tight fit, so dont real anyway.
yeah I wouldn't mind then, but as I have the Hydor inline heater below it, dripping onto the outside of that constantly is not ideal.. ;-)

Might give the sikaflex a go maybe some PVC glue first for the short term and see if the vendor gets back to me and/or buy new bulkhead and make it up from scratch, not that expensive really..

Last edited:

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
A simple repair option in situ. Use 2 part 24 hour epoxy. Use duct tape to ensure it doesn't run way from the joint.

Not as good as a full pipe replacement, but may be a reliable repair option for you.

Good luck, I'd be very careful with heat around the bottom of your tank and foam. Maybe get a professional to do the job?

Good luck.

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
I have heaps of two part epoxy at home for my rc planes though it is all the 10 minute type? Can get some 24 hour stuff...

The vendor got back to me today, he said to try silicone, but I would have thought any of the other suggestions so far would be better.. Lol