Reef Discussion

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
Leaking Pipe??
As in the picture below the return pipe going up from my sump is leaking, it isn't leaking higher up (double checked with tissue) it is actually leaking out of the pre-joined section the arrow points to...

If I turn the system off (obviously that pipe is empty so the leaking stops) and silicone around that join from the outside (it is glued in so without getting a new one I can't get in it) will that stop the leak?? going to be real hard to undo otherwise as the whole bulkhead was siliconed and screwed together as per instructions from vendor...

suggestions? can silicone hold that kind of leak if I put it around the outside?

ai1294.photobucket.com_albums_b607_joele77_Leak_zpse400b93a.jpg

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
awesome wasn't sure as can only put it on from outside.. will have to get some tomorrow and give it the full 24 hour cure..

water was running down the hose onto my Hydor inline heater, not a good thing.. LOL

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Might help to tape over it to get a nice tight seal, I'd go overboard as well. Sometimes the water just makes it's way out anyway. In that case I'd just cut it and put a new bit of pipe on.

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
Silicone may work, but always keep in mind it does not normally bond well with plastic.

Personally I would just use PVC glue all over the join. This bonds with the pipe and 'should' get into the small gap where the water is coming from.
ohh ok, well I will give that a try first... thanks.. I was thinking about two part EPOXY last night, but PVC cement is probably most likely to work..

I thought I could also cut a section of pipe the diameter of the top section and an inch long, put a heap of pvc glue around the current join and slide the new ring up into place?

Last edited:

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
Pull it apart and do it properly - a stitch in time saves 9.

What are you talking - a few hours effort?
My problem is that whole pipe is screwed into the bulkhead using silicone to glue it in (was suggested by the distributor/instructions) so unscrewing it may be problematic, haven't tried yet... Though if it comes to that the vendor should give me a replacement section already done for me to use (I didn't glue that part all come like that).... Waiting on response with their suggestion, wasn't a cheap setup really :-/

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
As above, silicone doesn't bond that well with plastic so you might be able to unscrew it. I would put some thread tape on the pipe and screw it back in.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I persoanlly don't have any silicon in my setup and don't have any leaks.

Glue the pipe if you can't remove it.

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Is that a press fit? Is it also PVC? If so this is easy. Get that primer stuff for pvc pipe (red stuff), Brush it around the fitting where your pipe is going in to. Then (don't freak) set it on fire. It will heat the fitting enough for you to wiggle the pipe out. When you are done, apply primer and glue (pvc pipe glue) and put the pipe back in.

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Also if you are uncomfortable with that method then cut your pipe at the fitting. Heat the pipe up (inside of the fitting) and when you get it really warm run a blade down it. Let the pipe cool off and pry it out with a flat head screwdriver.

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
Is that a press fit? Is it also PVC? If so this is easy. Get that primer stuff for pvc pipe (red stuff), Brush it around the fitting where your pipe is going in to. Then (don't freak) set it on fire. It will heat the fitting enough for you to wiggle the pipe out. When you are done, apply primer and glue (pvc pipe glue) and put the pipe back in.
Sorry I don't know much about this plumbing stuff always had sumpless tanks in the past...

It came like that already done, it looks like one hard PVC pipe slid into the bulkhead plastic connector with some type of PVC glue I guess!

It is a complete all in one marine cube so was all pre-done...

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Yo dude! Here is what you do.

1. Cut the pipe. Go to bunnings and buy another pipe the same size. But it a little bit longer than what you need.
  2. Cut your pipe so it is flush with the end of the bulkhead fitting.
  3. Heat up the remaining pipe inside of the bulkhead (the small piece stuck in the bulkhead fitting)
  4. Once is is warm enough (not melting, but getting to that point) run a Stanley knife blade down the pipe from the top of the pipe all the way to the bottom.
  5. Wait for it to cool off
  6. Get a flat head screw driver and work your way around the pipe. This will slowly let the bit of pipe come out.
  7. Once it is out clean the bulkhead fitting
  8. Cut your new pipe to length
  9. Apply primer to ends of pipe. Apply primer to inside of bulkhead.
  10. Wait to dry
  11. Apply glue and insert the pipe into the fitting.
Make sure you use proper PVC primer and glue. Do not use silicon.

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
Yo dude! Here is what you do.

1. Cut the pipe. Go to bunnings and buy another pipe the same size. But it a little bit longer than what you need.
  2. Cut your pipe so it is flush with the end of the bulkhead fitting.
  3. Heat up the remaining pipe inside of the bulkhead (the small piece stuck in the bulkhead fitting)
  4. Once is is warm enough (not melting, but getting to that point) run a Stanley knife blade down the pipe from the top of the pipe all the way to the bottom.
  5. Wait for it to cool off
  6. Get a flat head screw driver and work your way around the pipe. This will slowly let the bit of pipe come out.
  7. Once it is out clean the bulkhead fitting
  8. Cut your new pipe to length
  9. Apply primer to ends of pipe. Apply primer to inside of bulkhead.
  10. Wait to dry
  11. Apply glue and insert the pipe into the fitting.
Make sure you use proper PVC primer and glue. Do not use silicon.
Thanks for the rundown, much appreciated..

So what do you heat it with? I have a heat gun.. I suppose I just have to be very careful not to overheat the plastic?

Still waiting on supplier to hopefully get back to me and offer a replacement saving me the effort and costs of buying primer, glue pipes and doing it myself.. Otherwise I will do it right and follow your instructions...

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
just go to bunnings. either the blue or green bottle was for drinking water (one of them tells you on it)

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
yeah no problem, I guess I am little frustrated I paid $1,300 for a pre fabricated all-in-one micro cube and the distributor didn't respond to my email requesting support from last night despite being on-line elsewhere...