Tank Journal Archive

Jamie's Modded RSM now with Maxspect LED
Introduction:

Hello everyone, I've been keeping reef tanks of various sizes for the last few years in Sydney (i'll dig up some photos sometime when i get the chance), but last year I had to move cities up to Newcastle. This meant shutting down my old tank and selling everything, hence i was without any tank for 6 months. When this red sea max came up on ebay of all places, i couldn't say no. It was a bit of a steal with a full red sea max (plus a complete spare red sea max tank only), live rock, some inverts and a whole host of upgraded parts. So i basically transported the system as is and now have it running in our kitchen.

Reefing Since:

System Objectives:

Keep a smaller reef aquarium with high quality corals and inverts. Also to try running this as a ULNS using No3:Po4X.

Type of reef:

Mixed reef, low lying areas with ricordias and zoanthids, mid areas with LPS and high areas wit h SPS.

Display System:

Initial Fill Date:

4/4/2012

Display Tank Dimensions:

Red Sea Max 130D: approximately 24" cube.

Display Lighting:

Initially stock 2x55W T5s
Soon to be Maxspect G2 160W mounted in hood, with DIY colour supplement in front flap

Stand:

RSM stand

Hood or Rimless:

Hood

Sump Design:

NA at this stage, thinking of getting a lifereef overflow

Filtration:

Intank media basket with purigen, rowaphos and filter wool

Support systems:

NSW or ASW:

ASW: used Red Sea Coral Pro and Red Sea normal, trying Tropic Marin Reef Pro this time

Display Water circulation:

2 x MP10 vortechs, need to upgrade the 2nd to a wireless ES driver at some point

Return Pump:

Eheim compact 1000

Skimmer:

Tunze 9002

Evaporation Top Up:

Tunze osmolator

Chemical additions:

Red Sea Reef Care Program:
Foundations A, B, C liquids with a dosing setup
Energy A + B 2ml per day each
No3:Po4X on dosing setup 1ml per day

Thats the quick summary. Will post up some more history when i get my photos in order.

Just thought i'd put up a few pics of my old reefs:

ai232.photobucket.com_albums_ee64_jkel85_New_20Frags_20Journal_IMG_2337.jpg

ai232.photobucket.com_albums_ee64_jkel85_fragtankJ3_IMG_4540.jpg

ai232.photobucket.com_albums_ee64_jkel85_fragtankJ3_IMG_4544.jpg

ai232.photobucket.com_albums_ee64_jkel85_BR400_1_IMG_4301.jpg

ai232.photobucket.com_albums_ee64_jkel85_FragtankJ6_IMG_5220.jpg

ai232.photobucket.com_albums_ee64_jkel85_FragtankJ6_IMG_5206.jpg

ai232.photobucket.com_albums_ee64_jkel85_Rimless_20Nano_20TJ7_IMG_1859.jpg

ai232.photobucket.com_albums_ee64_jkel85_Rimless_20Nano_20TJ7_IMG_1812_3.jpg

Thanks guys, more to come soon

Yep, i built that setup to add to my old 4ft reef, ran off the one water volume. When i broke the 4ft down, i turned it into a rimless reef by itself.

(mods: I'm apologise, i think i created this thread in the wrong place, could it be moved into the reef tank journals subforum)

Been working on mounting them in the hood and i'm 99% there. Just waiting on a pair of nice silent 120mm fans to put into the hood to max the airflow. A little overkill i think since i'm actually not getting too bad temperatures with just the stock hood fans blowing through the hood over the unit. Here's a few photos of the mod:

ai232.photobucket.com_albums_ee64_jkel85_RSM130D_2026_4_2012_20Maxspect_20and_20Scape_DSC02737.jpg

ai232.photobucket.com_albums_ee64_jkel85_RSM130D_2026_4_2012_20Maxspect_20and_20Scape_DSC02738.jpg

ai232.photobucket.com_albums_ee64_jkel85_RSM130D_2026_4_2012_20Maxspect_20and_20Scape_DSC02760.jpg

ai232.photobucket.com_albums_ee64_jkel85_RSM130D_2026_4_2012_20Maxspect_20and_20Scape_DSC02762.jpg

ai232.photobucket.com_albums_ee64_jkel85_RSM130D_2026_4_2012_20Maxspect_20and_20Scape_DSC02780.jpg

Fits in their nicely once i stripped out the old electrics. Had to do some creative work with a dremel to allow full coverage, but with a few aluminium brackets the unit is now a rigid part of the hood. I used the old lens to seal up either end from water ingress. There is a nice cavity above it before the top part of the hood which allows reasonable airflow. I'll make cutouts into the top section to mount the new fans to really beef up the cooling.

I don't want to post pics of the light on in the tank until i can get the camera settings right to actually represent the colours in the system but with the mods permission, i found a nice journal on RC of a guy who ran this light unit over some very nice sps:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums//showthread.php?t=1929512&page=3

He did a few bulb changes on the stock kit but my colour looks very similar. Might end up making those changes to the bulbs myself ;-)

As far as the tank is going, i havn't been super happy since i moved it in as i've had hair algaes and cyano issues, despite bringing the nutrients under control (0.25ppm nitrates 0.04 phosphates on hanna and red sea pro tests). I've had turbos and trochus eating it up, but i think its probably the result of poor husbandry by the previous owner. Hence i've purchased a nice box of dry live rock, which i've given the full acid dip treatment and is now curing in a dark bin with lanthanum chloride. Overkill perhaps but thats the path i'm taking this time. Gives me a great chance to play with aquascape too, which is something i really don't like in the existing rock pieces. I mentioned that i have an entire spare RSM, this is so handy for doing work for V2.0 of the tank, and great also for testing aquascapes. Once the rock is suitably seeded, i'm going to cable tie it into shape, probably something like this:

ai232.photobucket.com_albums_ee64_jkel85_RSM130D_2026_4_2012_20Maxspect_20and_20Scape_DSC02707.jpg

ai232.photobucket.com_albums_ee64_jkel85_RSM130D_2026_4_2012_20Maxspect_20and_20Scape_DSC02710.jpg

Needs a bit of work to look more natural (bit of putty), but i like the more minimal scape with plenty of flat mounting room for corals. There is a nice long flat piece which forms an awesome little bridge and keeps plenty of room around the structure for water flow. These lights are quite powerful (especially with the 2x30Ws on) so i'm happy to keep the structure quite low.

My last bugbear to address is microbubbles but more on that later..

Thanks guys

Jamie

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Light fits very well, nearly made for the hood !

You'll really like the MP10's when you set them up in master / slave mode. The upgrade kit is not that expensive to go to ecosmart wireless

Rob C

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
you wont need two mp10s for a tank that size :P, i have one mp10 on my 60x45x45 and run it at about 20 percent!

light fits in the standard hood very nice!

Thanks guys

I've run the twin vortechs on the tank for a week or so, loving the extra flow. You wouldn't beleive how much the nem loves it. Literally twice its size now. Think it will be even nicer when i can get them syncing.

Yeah i was really happy with how the light fitted in the hood, waiting on my rock to hurry up and cycle!

Lagoon modes and I've been playing with them between 50 to 100%. Tank is only really full of flubber at the moment but I've never seen them look so happy so I'd say the flow isn't too much. :-)

Attachments