Reef Discussion

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Is My Rbta Ok?
Hi Guys,

never really had any experience with BTA's, so putting this out just in case I am in trouble. I am hoping I'm just over-reacting and paranoid, but best ask before it goes beyond the point of repair.

My RBTA is looking somewhat drastically different the last week or so. When I first got it a couple of months ago, it had quite short tentacles but was fat and happy. Once it settled into the tank, it really stretched out, looked fantastic, was like this for a good 4-6 weeks. Then in the last week, it looks deflated, bald and sad. It is still eating happily, still has lots of colour and nothing much has changed in the tank (I did play with the tunze pump voltages, but have settled them back down again). Did move it forward about an inch from when it was really stretching as it was getting near my duncan and scolly's, kinda doubting such a small move would affect anything?

Anyway, here are the pics.
First went in tank (little shy, understandable as it adjusted to new tank)
RBTA_first.JPG

Couple of weeks ago - loving life:
RBTA_middle.jpg

Couple of days ago (looks a tad better now, this is probably the saddest it got):
rbta_after.JPG

Anything to be worried about? Is it hungry? Is it unhappy? Is it just expelling waste? Is it splitting? Is it nothing?

Thanks in advance :)
Sam

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
would obviously be stoked if it did split, but be just content with it not dying!!! It did appear as if a part of it was stretching towards the bottom of the rock while the rest stayed up top, so perhaps? Should I feed it extra whilst in this position? Will that encourage or hinder?

P.S. - Thanks for the response :)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Not sure about feeding - I haven't target feed my BTA's for about 5 years. They just get whatever floats past during a fish feed.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I remember mine used to do that sometimes. I read they deflate to expel the old water and puff up when they draw in new water. I'm not sure If there is any fact in that though!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I'll pop home soon and grab an updated pic, see if I can show what the moth looks like. Not sure if I'd say it is gaping, but it is certainly exposed.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
have to also say, looking online at other 'dying' RBTA's, mine looks a million times better.... There are some really sad RBTA's out there!!!

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Maybe its sad getting stuck in that rock hollow you have created and it cannot escape. Its a good idea though, mine stayed at the back of the tank out of site for at least 12 months until it found a rock so probably looked worse than yours. I can remember reading that they RBTA are a little more finicky than others.

threaten to cut it in half with the carving knife, that will get it attention !

Its in a great spot in the scape good luck... BTW I have never fed mine it it has not died yet... although suppose it gets clown poo

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
thanks for the reply. It can get out of the rock as when I first put it in the tank, it continued to walk around the rock (I kept turning the rock, almost like a treadmil!). Eventually it agreed with me and then got very happy (middle pics). Now all of a sudden, is half the size it was and sulky. Perhaps less feeding then?

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
My BTAs prefer to be higher in the tank. I did have one lower and he lost his bubbles and was stretching his tentacles for more light. As soon as I moved it to top of tank bubbles came back and never spread like that again Just a thought. ! Beautiful colour though. !!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Hmmm, it did appear to be "stretching" for more height... I could put it up a bit higher and see if it responds, kinda risking it leaving the rock though (also throwing another variable into the mix.)

Will certainly keep in mind though, thanks for the reply!

Trentwalsh

Dec 21, 2013
Werribee
Funny you say that about going up high, i have a green bta, and when i moved my rock it was closer to the flow, it lost its bubbles went abit crappy, and then moved, from middle rock height, to pretty much under the rockscape, i can see about 2/5th of it now, like its tryig to escape the flow and light, and now its got full fat bubbles and looks a million bucks. From what ican see but it hasent moved since so it must be happy,

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Hmmm, it did appear to be "stretching" for more height... I could put it up a bit higher and see if it responds, kinda risking it leaving the rock though (also throwing another variable into the mix.)

Will certainly keep in mind though, thanks for the reply!
If he doesn't like the new spot trust me he will move. ! I have 1 out if 6 that constantly moves around the tank. The other five all have prime top light spots and this poor little one moves every couple of weeks Never done any harm ! Lol

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
thats what makes me think I should probably leave it where it is, hasn't tried to move anywhere - so cant be too sick.

Have spoken to the fine folk at Deer Park who have suggested that a possibility could be that I have fed it too much and it is expelling waste. Makes sense, I probably have fed too much :D