Reef Discussion

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
You really love what people dispose don't you kharn ;-)
I don't look at it like that, but rather just what interests me it just so happens that I am interested in the more.....brutal side of nature :D I just need to do a bit more re-search on it before I go ahead and start it up.

The Worm I speak of is considered a huge pest in aquariums and can reap devastation to all the inhabitants in the tank it resides in...it belongs to the family 'Eunicidae' and its full scientific name is 'Eunice aphroditois' its common name and the one most may know it by is......'Bobbit Worm' although the 'Eunicidae' family is huge with many different subs to them it is the 'Eunice aphroditois' that I am only interested in.

These are eerie creatures, I can form emotional bonds / ties with all my stomatopods, however I would find it hard to form any kind of bond with this creature, having said that, I still find it fascinating!

One of the most interesting things about this particular worm for those that do not know it is the name "Bobbit Worm" comes from an American family name the "Bobbits" one day (this is true) one day Mr. Bobbit came home from work and Mrs. Bobbit was feeling frisky, something went bad and in the end...Mrs. Bobbit snipped off Mr. Bobbits PENIS! The reason why this worm is aptly named Bobbit Worm is because of a few factors, first people ASSUME that after copulating with each other the female worm will bite off the males sex organ and feed on it, this is false! Another reasoning is the Jaws of the worm (mixed with the assumption of the decapitation of the males sex organ) the jaws resemble the same "cutters" Mrs. Bobbit used on her husbands penis! Another reasoning to it is that the worm itself shares a similar color to human skin color and from a distance one can easily mistaken it for a "Penis" looking thing that has been cut in half missing the "head" (Mr. Mrs Bobbit).

Hence the Bobbit Worm came to being!

E. Aphroditois
aimg151.imageshack.us_img151_4098_220pxeuniceaphroditois.jpg

It varies a lot from the common Eunicidae we get in aquariums and luckily so for most of us, these are the GIANTS of the Eunicidae family capable of growing to over 3mtrs long although 1mtr is the avg size.
aimg855.imageshack.us_img855_6136_bobbit.jpg

Look at the Jaws!
[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/6431/bobbitworm.jpg[/URL]

Video - Skip to the 0:40 mark to get past the titles and words.

Eerie............

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
So is there going to be an aptasia garden in this tank as well?
No.

In short I usually run a second tank off the main tanks I have, these tanks aren't so much sumps as they are refugiums, there holding tanks, for example my main Mantis tank rite now has NO LR in it =O but the tank beneath it has it ALL this way I get more sand surface area up top where it COUNTS (for the sake of the inhabitants that use it).

Any Aptasia I find I treat personally a.k.a remove rock and chip of the Aptasia!

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
No.

In short I usually run a second tank off the main tanks I have, these tanks aren't so much sumps as they are refugiums, there holding tanks, for example my main Mantis tank rite now has NO LR in it!

However the tank below it that the main tank is plumbed into is FULL of LR! Aiptasia grows in there and its easy as pie to take a piece out and destroy it!

Any Aptasia I find I treat personally a.k.a remove rock and chip of the Aptasia!

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Hey don't get me wrong I love your dedication to species specific setups ! And I have been following your tj quite closely :-)

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
I was just sighing at my double post -_-

My interests with species tanks lay with predators the more interesting they are then the more likely I will setup for one.

I'm a bit over "fish" to be honest even the predatory ones, unless there is something utterly unique about the way they hunt.

My interest in cephalopods is equal to that of stomatopods I just haven't started a ceph tank...yet.

EDIT: Kept both fresh & salt water predatory fish for over 10yrs

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
One of the things I find most Eerie about the Bobbit worm is its almost "Blind" state, it feels its way around using the tentacle feelers mounted on its head, all the while it moves ever so slowly....as soon as the tentacles make contact with something, they trigger the jaws to snap shut with such force that the prey can often be "cleaved in 2"!

Since the Bobbits eye sight isn't the best it relys alot on the tentacle appendages to "feel" for potential prey, this prey isn't always fish but sometimes coral/rock! There has been a case where a bobbit worm had "cleave a coral in 2"!

Amazing!

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
The Blue Ring will probably be the first ceph I get considering the ease at which we aussies can obtain them =)

Although it does bring a lot of "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!!?!" from Americans. :D

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
There is an interesting video on youtube of a Blue Ring fighting with a Stomatopod (peacock mantis) it's amazing that the Blue Ring didn't even stand a chance.....yet stomatopods produce NO toxins/venoms just sheer brute force and an undeniable intelligence!

The video was made in order to try and understand just how the stomatopod deals with the lethal toxin within the Blue Ring assuming that the Blue Rings always got at least 1 bite in on the stomatopod, you'd think so considering the amount of arms and there tendancy to stick to anything!

Yet...Brute Force & Superior Intelligence win!

Amazing!

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Yeah while I had my one I loved the fact that when I'd walk into the room these two little eyes would poke out of his hole that faced the doorway and he would come right out and sit on the rocks and watch me tinker mith my main reef...... The way they roll around snails and hermit crabs to get at them is just awe inspiring to think such a "stupid prawn" can be SO smart !